PDA

View Full Version : 2 Speed fan Relays

Compact Missile
09-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi guys,

Just one short question. Do you know where to find the electric fan relays on my 1995 318ti? The electric fan is not switching on low, though it switches on high. I suspect the relay switch.

Any input appreciated

Compact Missile
10-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Hi Guys,

I have located the relays. One for 1st stage, one for the 2nd stage. Some Einstein had swapped the 2nd stage relay with the lighting relay! I managed to find a really good electrical diagram (pdf - 416 pages!) on the net.

Fan now works on both speeds though this hasn't solved the overheating problem. I suspect a blocked rad as area around fan switch doesn't get as hot as the hoses. Any ideas? :cry:

ClubSport
10-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Mind posting a link to that electrical diagram?

Compact Missile
10-13-2004, 12:58 AM
Here's the link: http://www.gbnetwork.co.uk/bmw/downloadetm.html

Cheers

PS. Needle still in red zone even though It's the fourth time I'm bleeding it. I'll take the rad out tomorrow! Area around fan swtch is still cool compared to rest of rad. I suspect a blocked rad. I even found traces of radseal or the like in cooling system, now that blocks leaks as well as heaters and rads. We'll Seee....

ClubSport
10-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the link!

RAiMA
11-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Fan now works on both speeds though this hasn't solved the overheating problem. I suspect a blocked rad as area around fan switch doesn't get as hot as the hoses. Any ideas? :cry:

Sounds like the thermostat isn't opening.

J!m
11-14-2004, 08:29 PM
From the traces of sealer found, I'd strongly suggest flushing the system a few times and finding the guy who put the sealer in there, and punching him in the mouth.

Compact Missile
02-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Found the guy, punched him in the face, the works. Found Thermostat missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would you beleive it????

New thermostat fitted, everything flushed, car has been runiing fine ever since.

J!m
02-08-2006, 02:45 PM
This only further reinforces the fact that the auto manufacturers spend a great deal of time, money and effort making sure everything works correctly in all climates.

It's fun to be able to "just remove the (insert part name here) for 2 HP gains!", however there is always a price...

Compact Missile
02-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Absolutely. The cooling system of the M42 doesn't work without a thermostat!! The radiator gets bypassed. The chap must have had an above average IQ.