PDA

View Full Version : Question?...

Dusty
09-27-2004, 08:28 PM
How hard/difficult is it to replace the crankshaft seal and the valve cover gasket? Because I was quoted from an authorized non-dealer repair shop around $400.บบ to do both and change the oil also. Is that a fair price or should I just order the parts and do it my self? I think I am pretty handy with tools and am somewhat mechanically inclined. I have replaced my water pump, thermostat, upper and lower radiaitor hoses, I have replaced my entire radiator, both belts, both front wheel bearings and did a radiator flush. I know it may require quite a bit of time, but if anyone has done it, let me know if it is doable or just let them hanlde it. I am also thinking of switching over to synthetic oil so this would be a good place and time to change over. My 96 ti when I start up in the morning has a constant oil drip near the front of the engine until the car gets warm and the oil starts to circulate then it stops until the engine is cold again, so I took it and got an estimate for the repair. You can also smell burning oil once you get out of the car after driving it. Any suggestions are welcome. Thnx, Dusty.

J!m
09-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, but if it was MY $400.00, to do that seal and oil chnge, I'd probably do it (since I have no time...).

bimmerboi318
09-27-2004, 11:55 PM
The valve cover gasket should be relatively simple to install. Just be sure not to overtighten the bolts, since they go into aluminum and may strip easy. The crank main seal may be a little more involved. Since you're talking about the front, it can be done with the car on the ground. I belive the timing cover has to be removed, so you'll need a couple extra gaskets to finish the job. If you're comfortable working on your car, I'd buy a repair manual and try it. Or you could do the valve cover and let a shop do the crank seal. That'll take a good chunk out of the bill.

Dusty
09-30-2004, 08:54 PM
That's great, I forgot to mention that I have a Bentleys Manual. I am going to try it.

Jeff Spooner
09-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Dusty,
The oil leak you mentioned is most likely the transfer tube between the oil filter housing and the block. this is a common problem on your motor. There is a round tube with an O-ring on both ends, but when you pull the filter housing from the block it will stay in one or the other. Make sure you pull it out completely and replace the O-ring on both ends or it will still leak (been there done that, learned the hard way). Also when you take the alternator off one of the bolts for the housing is hidden behind the bushings for the upper bolt. Push them out of both sides and you will see the bolt. this is not too hard of a job. Most shops charge 5-6 hours but it can be done in about 2-3 hours. The valve cover gasket is pretty simple but make sure you replace all of the grommets on the bolts. stick them in a vice and spray silicon spray on the grommet and use a deep well 5/8 socket and a plastic hammer to knock them on. Cut the old ones off with dykes or a razor knife. Do not replace the gasket without the grommets because it will not pull the cover down tight and will leak.