PDA

View Full Version : intake installation failed, plz help

barische
09-27-2004, 11:40 PM
ok i got the air breather today and fits the throttle body pipe perfectly, okay now that i got that piece done i tried to install the intake.
but when i took the airbox out i realized that the big piping that was coming from the radiator to the airbox will stand there open, and my dad said that taht pipe cant be standing there open just like that. so we put everything back together. that pipe is the stock pipe that sends the air from the radiator to the air box. i really dont know whgat to do wiht that bog pipe.
take it out completely or leave it there open so it will give off air into the engine. plz help
thank you.

barische
09-29-2004, 12:20 AM
i got the car inspected today and i passed so im thinking about taking the car to the mechanic in the next couple of days , but while im waiting can u tell me what should i do with that pipe that is feeding the air to air box
thanks

slacker
09-29-2004, 05:43 AM
barische,
Two things you can do. One:remove the funnel (the 1 1/2" up to about 2 1/2" part) from the part that connects to the radiator frame covering the oval holes and leaving you cool air narrowed down and directed toward the filter by the remaining piece with the rubber ring on the circular part. Two: remove the entire vent and funnel leaving the oval holes.
When I "Fogged" my stock airbox to 4" I had to remove the same piece for the 4" pipe to get down to the cool air behind the foglight (even had to move the horns). But I kept the part that attached to the radiator frame and put it on the passenger side
directing air to the engine compartment.
Gary

bimmerboi318
09-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Ah yours is a '97...that means you have 2 intake pipes going to the airbox I believe? Mine is a '95 and only has one, I took it out of the car. For the later ti's, I'm not sure how the 2nd pipe works, or if it's integrated into anything else like the fan shroud...but if it's possible to take it off, remove it. If it's connected to anything, there's no real harm in leaving it as long as it's secure and not going to fall off.

barische
09-29-2004, 10:22 PM
there is only one pipe and its comin from the passesget side and its comin from the radiator and from the two holes then pipe goes on top of the radiator and goes down right into the air box if i leave pipe open then the pipe will be facing the new intake filter directly , and from what i figured out that, that pipe will get the air from the radiator and will send the air into the engine compartment where the intake will be.

if im wrong plz correct me
thank you guys so much

bimmerboi318
09-29-2004, 11:02 PM
I think I know how it looks now...the 95's suck air from the driver's side of the radiator while the 96 and on sucks air from the passenger side. I'd say leave the pipe there if it's only facing the new intake and is not in the way.

barische
09-30-2004, 03:08 AM
yes man thank u zillion times u got it, it just faces the intake filter ,so ill just leave it. thank u guys so much, tomorrow i can actually just install the stupid thing and floor the car later on.
i really love to floor that car especially when u drive it in maual mode.
thank you guys so much.