PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Starter???

yeehawbob
09-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey guys,

Can anyone point out the starter location? :ashamed:
Please post pictures if possible.

Thanks

bimmerboi318
09-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Sorry, I have no pictures. But, the starter is located on the oil dipstick side of the engine. It bolts to the transmission bellhousing. It is easier to access if you remove the dipstick alltogether. The top bolt and connector wires can be accessed from the engine compartment. The bottom bolt you can get from underneath the car. PLEASE USE JACKSTANDS!! Then manuever it out from underneath the car by turning and tilting it in every possible way and it should come out.

318now
04-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Is it visible? Is it behind the oil dipstick?

adempster1
04-09-2006, 09:50 PM
just as bimmerboi318 said, I had to change mine some time ago and it was just as he explained, I was just lucky to have had access to a shop with a lift.

cossieturbo
04-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Yup, you can see it. Just be aware that with a high mileage Ti the Knock Sensor housings are always cracked and brittle. The rear one is right next to the Starter and is hard to see.
If you hit it and the plastic has become brittle and comes off you will get a Knock Sensor error. You may be able to swap it when the Starter has been removed but be careful. The opening where the starter was is a bad place to drop a bolt as that is of course the Clutch assembly.
Use some rags to cover the hole if your into the Knock Sensors. Do the front one at the same time. Getting to the Electrical Harness Clips is the hardest part. You MAY(?) be forced to remove the upper intake to get to them, but that is not so tough. The lower Intake is a bit of a pain though. Best to you.

cossieturbo