PDA

View Full Version : A/C Microfilter question

318tiInUT
09-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I had a mechanic change the Microfilter on my 318ti. Right after he changed it out, the vent control knob became very difficult to turn. I thought I was going to break it or something if I turned it one way or the other. It's loosened up a little bit now, but when I questioned him about it, he said that the vent control had nothing to do with him changing out the microfilter and that it was just "something else that has gone wrong with my car." Can anyone confirm for me that it is just something else, or is this something that was affected when he changed out the microfilter? Thanks in advance.

1996 328ti
09-29-2004, 07:15 PM
I tend to agree with your mechanic. Unless he dropped something in there, I think the two problems are unrelated.

But it could have been a leaf or some debris that fell in when he removed the filters and blew it's way into the vent.

Microfilters on the ti are a pretty easy DIY job. ;)

318tiInUT
09-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Thank you very much. I was reading in the Bently Manual that my friend has (not too 318ti friendly in my opinion) and it says that you have to remove some of the glove compartment to get to it to replace. Did I read that correctly? :?

ClubSport332ti
09-29-2004, 09:39 PM
is there a simple write up for this?

1996 328ti
09-30-2004, 12:51 AM
http://www.318ti.org/notebook/microfilter/

Those E36s with trunks need to go through the glove compartment.
The ti is much easier.

I have been meaning to transfer everything from the notebook section to the article section. Most of that work gets done if I am snowed in for a day or two.

318tiInUT
09-30-2004, 01:38 AM
Cool notebook. Thanks for the link! Has some helpful tips in there.

1996 328ti
09-30-2004, 02:02 AM
I know. ;)
I started it a long time ago. Actually I take no credit for it.
All I did was take the content from ti owner websites after they sold their car and closed up their site.
That is why I started 318ti.org because I thought this information was too valuable.
There used to be so many cool reviews on the ti but now most are gone.

I figured if I wanted to abandon my duties here I could at least pass it over to someone.

ClubSport332ti
09-30-2004, 03:03 PM
I know. ;)
All I did was take the content from ti owner websites after they sold their car and closed up their site.
That is why I started 318ti.org because I thought this information was too valuable.

I figured if I wanted to abandon my duties here I could at least pass it over to someone.
OMFG i totally forgot about that notebook. Man threre is some great stuff in there.

318tiInUT
10-01-2004, 01:02 AM
I know. ;)

Maybe you should start your own "Bentley" book and make some money!

Jeff Spooner
10-01-2004, 04:45 AM
the cabin filter in the "i" and "is" is actually easier than the "ti". I can change the "i" model in 3 1/2 minutes, it takes about 10 to change the ti.

lazerr
01-01-2005, 11:32 PM
The filters that I took out were filthy. I'm glad I took the plunge and did the change.