PDA

View Full Version : WTB: HR sport springs and sway bars

mreroc
02-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Used are fine if priced accordingly. Located in Phx. Thanks.

geetarspaz
02-28-2012, 02:31 AM
how do the h&r sport springs compare to the oem sport spring as far as height difference

mreroc
02-28-2012, 02:42 AM
Probably someone who has installed could answer better, but from what I have read the HR is 1.4 Inch Front, 1.0 Inch Rear.

geetarspaz
02-28-2012, 02:47 AM
(my last post so your thread doesn't get off topic) something i've wanted to know does it determine how much it will be lowered from the ti's oem height springs, because with the oem sport it sits lower especially in the back, so you would have to know if it's talking from oem height or the oem sport height.

mreroc
02-28-2012, 02:51 AM
Yeah, those numbers are from boring old OEM height from pelicanparts (http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/catalog/shopcart/BE36/POR_BE36_SUSshk_pg9.htm#item48).

No worries on off topic. If someone has any to sell they'll ignore all this. And I may be staying on OEM springs anyhow. We'll see...

geetarspaz
02-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Ok cool thanks. i'm considering h&r race rather sport in the future

mtlblue
02-28-2012, 07:10 AM
i've been wondering the same thing for ride height; h&r vs sport . and contemplating your shocks to go with my set of not-yet-installed , used h&r sport springs , or just staying with my eom sport set up. I read that the oem sport vs non-sport is about half an inch or so lower, not that much, and I've had both on different cars and like the sport better of course, but lower would be nicer ;-)
my question would be if this set up, h&r with blistein sport would be any stiffer than the oem sport. I'd like the drop, but I'd like to keep the softer ride. Can't find the info for this, any thoughts out there? hard to think this question hasn't been asked or answered a 100 times already. thanks

spidertri
02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
If you value ride quality at all do not use bilstein sports and H&R sport springs. I went from crappy coilovers to bils/H&R and the ride got worse with no noticeable performance increase. H&R springs are severely undersprung for our rear suspension. Couple that with overdamped bilsteins and the ride is not good.

You can have the bilsteins custom valved to a set of springs but I have never heard of people doing that with H&R sports so you'd be on your own there. There's a big thread in the Z3 forum on bimmerforums about this right now, most Z3 guys can't stand bils/h&rs either.

mtlblue
02-28-2012, 03:56 PM
awesome, thanks! probably saved me a couple hundred $$ + the trial and error time. I'll go check that forum out, as I have a new and unused set of rare Hartge z3 1.9 springs that I'm considering putting up for sale. now my h&r also . I'll check back with a price for that ...

dylanreid16
03-07-2012, 04:34 AM
I have sports and the ride height is awesome. Very low.

dylanreid16
03-07-2012, 04:34 AM
But without M3 Bilsteins (swaybar attached to strut not control arm) there is WAY to much body roll.

mreroc
04-20-2012, 01:51 AM
Just checking back in here to see if anyone has suspension upgrades for sale. New or used; but if used not trashed and priced accordingly. Thanks.

teen ti
04-20-2012, 01:55 AM
i don't want to hijack the thread or get too off topic but has anybody tried the BavAuto coilover system on a sport?

Budget M3
04-20-2012, 03:30 AM
mreroc

Given your penchant for taking your ti on the road less travelled (i.e. dirt roads), you might consider sticking with the stock ride height. When lowered that much, even speed bumps can be difficult to climb over without scraping the low spots of the undercarriage (believe me, I know ;) ). The protection plate over the fuel filter area is especially susceptible.

That said, I have a set of AC Schnitzer springs that I might be willing to part with (see the pic in my sig for how they look on the car). Shoot me an email if you are interested.

mreroc
04-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Yeah, I go back and forth with it all the time. Decided (at least for now) I can trade 1 to 1.4 inches the H&Rs advertise for a little better handling. I'll read up on your set and be in touch. Thanks.

mtlblue
04-20-2012, 03:47 AM
nice car! dasc and uuc flywheel, that thing must fly!!!

jca
04-20-2012, 03:49 AM
If you value ride quality at all do not use bilstein sports and H&R sport springs. I went from crappy coilovers to bils/H&R and the ride got worse with no noticeable performance increase. H&R springs are severely undersprung for our rear suspension. Couple that with overdamped bilsteins and the ride is not good.

You can have the bilsteins custom valved to a set of springs but I have never heard of people doing that with H&R sports so you'd be on your own there. There's a big thread in the Z3 forum on bimmerforums about this right now, most Z3 guys can't stand bils/h&rs either.

If anyone is interested in a nice balance between improved handling and ride comfort, consider the Bilstein HD shocks with OEM Springs, sport or base model. No lowering, of course, with this setup.

Budget M3
04-20-2012, 03:55 AM
nice car! dasc and uuc flywheel, that thing must fly!!!

I like to call it a sleeper....the mustang drivers I just passed at the track are in awe when I open the hood to display all 1.9l of 4-banger glory!

mreroc
04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Just updating that springs are off the list. Thanks Mark.

zoner
04-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Congrats, but bummer for me- I was going to offer you my spare H&R Sports/Bilstein Sport setup...

I actually don't think this setup rides that bad at all- if anything, the setup is a little undersprung but compared to some cars I've had in the past, I don't think it is a harsh ride at all (and I'm 43). Solid, but not harsh.

mreroc
04-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the potential offer nonetheless! I'm already on the Bilstein sports, so may not have worked out anyway.

Budget M3
04-25-2012, 06:21 AM

My pleasure, Eric. Enjoyed meeting you and Jessica on Sunday. Make sure you post pics of the springs when you get them installed!

mreroc
05-21-2012, 06:53 PM
We finally got them on, here some pics. Installed an x-brace on at the same time. Couple test runs north of Payson on FR 300 and offshoots. Felt nice and tight. I lost access to a few more campsites with the 1 inch, but good thing there's plenty up there.

As far as original thread, only looking for front sway bar now, trying the m roadster rear. Adding 4.44 LSD and z3 r/p as well. Thanks, Eric

slow_ti
05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
That first shot is tight. Looks mean

mreroc
05-21-2012, 09:18 PM
If I can score one of the available DASC's recently listed we'll get real mean.

Budget M3
05-23-2012, 04:40 AM
Nice! Glad they worked out. I love seeing your car in rally conditions! Just be careful parking that lowered hot engine on dried grass fields. I had a classmate in high school who once parked his "cool car" a little too close to the fallen autumn leaves. It instantly became a "hot car" and almost burned down the house!