PDA

View Full Version : FS: z8 push button start

CASTRO
03-07-2012, 04:32 AM
OEM z8 push button, I got this and wiring harness from a bf.c member but I never installed it $65 shipped

Can't figure out how to resize pics

teetime4one
03-07-2012, 04:59 AM
PM sent

maverick
03-07-2012, 06:50 PM
OEM z8 push button, I got this and wiring harness from a bf.c member but I never installed it $65 shipped

Can't figure out how to resize pics

How does it wire in?

dave

Uber E30
03-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Splice it in to the ignition harness under the steering wheel and run the ground to the ebrake so it disables itself when the ebrake is down.

Uber E30
03-08-2012, 01:13 AM
I have one i can sell for the same price AFTER castros sells, not trying to thread jack :)

teetime4one
03-08-2012, 04:04 AM
i'm in Castro

CASTRO
03-08-2012, 06:29 AM
*SOLD*

maverick
03-08-2012, 07:20 AM
I have one i can sell for the same price AFTER castros sells, not trying to thread jack :)

When you wire it in I assume you turn the key to the run posistion and then use the button to start, right?

If that is the case I have a question, what if the motor stalls, can you just push the button for a restart or must you cycle the key to reset it so you can restart?

Thanks,
dave

Uber E30
03-08-2012, 06:41 PM
When you wire it in I assume you turn the key to the run posistion and then use the button to start, right?

If that is the case I have a question, what if the motor stalls, can you just push the button for a restart or must you cycle the key to reset it so you can restart?

Thanks,
dave

The button is spliced into your starter harness. When its pressed it sends the same signal that your key would send to turning it to the last/start position. When the button is released it stops sending the signal, just the same as when you stop pushing the key into the start position. I have never had experience with the car not starting, but I would assume you just push the button again, as you would just turn the key again.

This is also why its important to wire the ground to your ebrake ground. If you push the button while the car is already on and you haven't connected the ground to the ebrake or some other kill switch then you will chew your starter up.

I have attached a wiring diagram, you can ignore the right side as i was making something to totally bypass using a key at all. Relays can be purchased at radioshack for a few dollars and i would recommend it otherwise the button will burn out.