PDA

View Full Version : The best fix for rear coolant lines

gc8dreams
03-26-2012, 07:18 PM
I only have 30 miles on my very well worn 213ti and began leaking coolant. I looked and see new heater core hoses and may be just that . However I would like to redo all of the lines and seem very obstructed at first glance. Folks talk about Y pipe as well. Should I just remove the intake is it even called for?

BlackBMWs
03-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I know on the M42 motor, removing the intake made the coolant hose replacements fairly easy. :cool:

geetarspaz
03-27-2012, 02:00 AM
No need. Well, depending on your hand size. I have a thread on this. Take off your battery box and cover and reach down through that and curl your arm back up and you'll feel the "Y" piece right there. I realized this after I took my intake off. Good luck!

Edit: yes if you're replacing all of them. And it's a great idea to do them all to prevent future problems

gc8dreams
03-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info, it is still sitting where I left it, hoping to tackel this when I am off of school.

spidertri
03-27-2012, 04:14 PM
CirrusSR22 did a whole writeup on this process. Search the knowledge base for it. To replace all of the hoses (which is a very good idea) you will have to remove the intake manifold.

BlackBMWs
03-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes, I did all the hoses on my 318ic/M42 and the manifold had to come off. I will do the same for my 318ti/M42 and will have to do the same. The intake manifolds are different designs, but the hose configurations are basically the same on the two models.

I believe the OP is referring to a M44 motor. I'd expect the same. :cool: