PDA

View Full Version : OBD II

L84THSKY
04-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Hello Everyone My current smartphone is a Nokia N9. There is an application that reads all the OBDII diagnostics when a bluetooth dongle is attached to the port below the steering wheel. I bought the dongle and tried reading some data on my phone. The connection is fine, but no data is being read. The software manufacturer thinks maybe my car is not OBDII compliant. I have the Peak CEL and Peak SRS tools and they work fine on the round port under the hood. What is the truth, is our car OBDII and sends compliant information through the test ports? I tried the dongle and app on my GF's 2001 Civic and it worked OK. Bavauto does say that the Peak code readers read proprietary and OBDII codes, so I'm not sure what type of data the Peak reader is seeing. Also, I do remember an inspection station connecting to the port below my steering wheel once to read some info from my car, so it must be OBDII compatible at some level. The inspection station was not using any special BMW diagnostic tools that I know of. http://www.obdautodoctor.com/

zoner
04-23-2012, 04:11 PM
I use an Equus Innova 3160 reader on the OBD-II port under the driver's side dash and I get full data readouts (live data, stored trouble codes, emissions information, etc.).

L84THSKY
04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
False alarm. I went on the web, and found out what protocol our car uses. I set it to that specific protocol instead of "Automatic" and it works fine. You would think a company based in Finland would know that BMW uses the "ISO 9141-2/KWP2000" protocol.

I use an Innova 3160 reader on the OBD-II port under the driver's side dash and I get full data readouts (live data, stored trouble codes, emissions information, etc.).

J!m
05-02-2012, 12:19 AM
So, Eric, does this mean you're keping the ti a bit longer???

L84THSKY
05-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Jim

Yeah, I am. The car drives just fine. Bought a door and a front fender, need to get painted and I will swap them out.

So, Eric, does this mean you're keping the ti a bit longer???

J!m
05-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Well that's cool. Hard to imagine you without the ti... Particularly after all the mods you did to it!

I'm up near New Haven CT if you ever want to take a short road trip some time.