PDA

View Full Version : What goes along with Sway Bars?

Sirius600
10-16-2004, 08:23 AM
If I'm looking to upgrade my suspension by adding a set of sway bars, what else should I go ahead and upgrade as well? I was wondering if i need new sway bar links or control arms. Is there anything else I'm forgetting? Thx.

bimmerboi318
10-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Usually the swaybar kits come with bushings and links. If I were to suggest any other upgrades, it would be pretty much everything. If you put swaybars on it, you KNOW you are just going to break down and get something else :D
So it's probably just a matter of what order you do stuff in. The order i did it was: Wheels/tires, shocks/struts, M3 control arm bushings, springs. I have not done swaybars yet, but they are on my list.

L84THSKY
02-15-2005, 08:50 PM
I picked up a set of M-tech front and rear sway bars. I also have 17", 7.5" width, 38 offset rims and 235/45/17 tires to put on in the spring. I have been reading about a problem with lowering the car and getting broken bolts or cracks in the rear end from the stress.
Now I'm starting to wonder about putting in springs and struts. First off, my new sway bars are 26mm in front and 16mm in rear. Do they make after market bushings for the M-tech sway bars? I have not seen any yet. Second, if I just decide to put in the sway bars and new rims and tires, am I gonna see any difference, and will my camber be a problem as well? I really want to drive the car without the new springs and struts, and see how I like it.

Thanks
Eric

Usually the swaybar kits come with bushings and links. If I were to suggest any other upgrades, it would be pretty much everything. If you put swaybars on it, you KNOW you are just going to break down and get something else :D
So it's probably just a matter of what order you do stuff in. The order i did it was: Wheels/tires, shocks/struts, M3 control arm bushings, springs. I have not done swaybars yet, but they are on my list.

L84THSKY
02-23-2005, 07:42 PM
I picked up a set of M-tech front and rear sway bars. I also have 17", 7.5" width, 38 offset rims and 235/45/17 tires to put on in the spring. I have been reading about a problem with lowering the car and getting broken bolts or cracks in the rear end from the stress.
Now I'm starting to wonder about putting in springs and struts. First off, my new sway bars are 26mm in front and 16mm in rear. Do they make after market bushings for the M-tech sway bars? I have not seen any yet. Second, if I just decide to put in the sway bars and new rims and tires, am I gonna see any difference, and will my camber be a problem as well? I really want to drive the car without the new springs and struts, and see how I like it.

Thanks
Eric

Panzer_M
02-24-2005, 06:35 AM
IIRC M3 sways connect to the M3 struts. unless kit-bashed 3ser don't have this feature.

1996 328ti
02-24-2005, 02:06 PM
If you replace the rear sway bar you MUST reinforce the mounts.