PDA

View Full Version : Are there any other SF bay ti drivers? :(

Mtec97caliTi
10-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Well, I have had my ti now for 2 months and haven't seen another modded one in the San Francisco/San Jose area! :( I am just wondering if there are any here on the forums? I have already run into like 349,875,635 m3 drivers that either do a double take and then nearly crash, or a nasty smirk and speed off, and even 1 thumbs up... Oh well, if you see me gimme a honk!
~Matt :D
Also, I am hoping to maybe see another compact out at the GGC CCA car control clinic this weekend, or @ Infineon (sears point) the 1st week of Nov.

moku
10-31-2004, 12:54 AM
I live in the Bay Area, and I've only spotted a handful of modified BMW Compacts. So, it's nice to see there are others like me in the area, particularly someone who also has a California top!

Maybe I'll see you at local meet sometime.

slacker
10-31-2004, 01:08 AM
I'm in the Benicia-Vallejo area and have met Joe Schmid from S.J. area up at ThunderHill and his is modded too. We'll both be at Infineon the weekend of Nov 6-7 for a BMWCCA DE and you both should drop by. $10 should get you in the track for the whole weekend if they are even gate checking like they did last week when I did a one day HPDE with NASA.
Gary

Mendi3
10-31-2004, 05:50 AM
I'm in Tracy area and I have not seen any modified compacts in this area. It's nice to know that there are some modified ti's close by. Do you have any pics available?

moku
10-31-2004, 07:18 AM
http://www.moku3.com/bmw/moku1.jpg

You can see a few more in my Photo Gallery (http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=296)

Mendi3
10-31-2004, 08:17 PM
Very nice car. Any modifications to the engine?

moku
10-31-2004, 08:33 PM
Very nice car. Any modifications to the engine?
Thanks. Just installed a Downing/Atlanta Supercharger. Loving the boost!

Mendi3
11-02-2004, 05:05 AM
Wow, what a coincidence. I talked to Jim at DASC this morning since I think I'm going to buy it. I would love to know more details about it. I understand that you don't need to have a chip if you install the DASC. How did you do yours?

moku
11-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Wow, what a coincidence. I talked to Jim at DASC this morning since I think I'm going to buy it. I would love to know more details about it. I understand that you don't need to have a chip if you install the DASC. How did you do yours?
Yeah, you don't have to add anything and Downing/Atlanta recommends against a chip. My engine is completely stock, with the exception of the DASC. I'm planning to add a new exhaust, but that will probably be it.

All I can say is if you can get the DASC, do it. You'll love the boost and power. I find myself turning off the stereo just so I can listen to the engine while I'm driving. It's a whole new car.

Mendi3
11-02-2004, 08:09 PM
That sounds great. How many miles did you have in the engine when you installed the DASC? Did you have to do any modifications to the brakes?

I can't wait to get it. I've heard wonderful things about this SuperCharger.

moku
11-02-2004, 10:20 PM
That sounds great. How many miles did you have in the engine when you installed the DASC? Did you have to do any modifications to the brakes?

I can't wait to get it. I've heard wonderful things about this SuperCharger.
I have about 109,000 miles on my car, and I checked with a few people before installing it because I wasn't sure if my high mileage and the fact that this is my daily commuter would be an issue. Just run a compression test on your engine to make sure that everything is sound in that respect.

In terms of the brakes, I haven't modified them, but it's something I'm thinking about. I would like to eventually install a big brake kit but I think the stock brakes are sufficient for the timebeing.

Mendi3
11-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the tip. I think it's a good idea to check the compression. I'll keep you posted. I think it should be OK but let's hope the results come OK.

Mtec97caliTi
11-05-2004, 01:41 AM
I have about 109,000 miles on my car, and I checked with a few people before installing it because I wasn't sure if my high mileage and the fact that this is my daily commuter would be an issue. Just run a compression test on your engine to make sure that everything is sound in that respect.

In terms of the brakes, I haven't modified them, but it's something I'm thinking about. I would like to eventually install a big brake kit but I think the stock brakes are sufficient for the timebeing.

I too contemplated DASC, or a Mosselman turbo kit- but (IMHO) boost makes our already twitchy cars even more scary (especially turbo...) for those of us who like to shred HWY9, 17, or 1 (to big sur). I installed my M3 brakes, since you can never have too much braking and when I used to work at a speed shop I saw too many people crash their cars after adding go fast goodies while not improving their 60-0 times... So my professional opinion is:
1) suspension
2) brakes
3) hp

Thats the safest way to do it, and especially when taking into concideration that our cars have SOLID front rotors! (very prone to overheating and warpage).

MOKU- is your car a sport, or did you add the m3 front bumper? (I cant tell if you have the wide side moldings like my car...) :joy:

Mtec97caliTi
11-05-2004, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the tip. I think it's a good idea to check the compression. I'll keep you posted. I think it should be OK but let's hope the results come OK.

Also perform a cylinder leakdown test and find out how good your upper end is too! :weirdfac:

moku
11-05-2004, 08:38 AM
MOKU- is your car a sport, or did you add the m3 front bumper? (I cant tell if you have the wide side moldings like my car...) :joy:
Actually, I do have the M moldings, as well as the front bumper. I just need to get the rear bumper to finish off the look. But I'm planning to get a new exhaust and upgrade my brakes before that.

BTW, how much did your M3 brakes run you? Did you replace the rotors and calipers?

Mtec97caliTi
11-05-2004, 08:20 PM
BTW, how much did your M3 brakes run you? Did you replace the rotors and calipers?

Ahh, ok so yours wasn't a factory sport model... :) I have the MTec interior out of my car that I would love to sell to a local! ;)

Anyways, I had to change out the calipers, rotors, and steering knuckles to do the m3 upgrade. I think my total was around $450 or so in parts (used knuckles/calipers, 1 rebuilt caliper (1 was frozen :( ), 2 new x-drilled rotors, metalmaster pads. The m3's are 12.3" vented (and crossdrilled now) rotors, and the caliper has a bigger piston (more volume) and the ///M cast into the housing. I am going to try to make it up to Infineon this weekend, but I might be stuck working on my temporary transportation (ie. 97 Jetta to drive while the ti undergoes it's 330ti transformation). :rah:

moku
11-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Ahh, ok so yours wasn't a factory sport model... :) I have the MTec interior out of my car that I would love to sell to a local! ;)

Anyways, I had to change out the calipers, rotors, and steering knuckles to do the m3 upgrade. I think my total was around $450 or so in parts (used knuckles/calipers, 1 rebuilt caliper (1 was frozen :( ), 2 new x-drilled rotors, metalmaster pads. The m3's are 12.3" vented (and crossdrilled now) rotors, and the caliper has a bigger piston (more volume) and the ///M cast into the housing. I am going to try to make it up to Infineon this weekend, but I might be stuck working on my temporary transportation (ie. 97 Jetta to drive while the ti undergoes it's 330ti transformation). :rah:

I have the Sports Package, just not the M-package. What of your interior are you selling? Let me know, I may be interested in a couple of things.

Post up pics of your engine once it's all done. I'd be curious to see how it all turns out.

Mendi3
11-06-2004, 04:18 PM
I've taken care of the suspension and the brakes already. The car is going in for a compression check on Monday.

Moku, where and how much did you pay for the M3 moldings? It looks nice.

Mtec97caliTi
11-08-2004, 04:52 PM
I have the Sports Package, just not the M-package. What of your interior are you selling? Let me know, I may be interested in a couple of things.

Post up pics of your engine once it's all done. I'd be curious to see how it all turns out.

Well, I have all the seats and door panels... :) PM me if you are interested, because I would gladly give a local a screamin deal!

moku
11-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Mendi3
Thanks. I got my moldings from BavAuto and paid about $200, including shipping. You might be able to get them from Pacific BMW for less, but I didn't have the part numbers and didn't mind paying BavAuto's price, which was still cheaper than some other places like Turner Motorsports.

Mtec97caliTi
What color was your interior? I might be interested if it's something that can match mine. I have parchment colored leather.

Mtec97caliTi
11-09-2004, 06:07 PM
What color was your interior? I might be interested if it's something that can match mine. I have parchment colored leather.

It's all black leather, with the black and grey fabric down the center.

Mendi3
11-10-2004, 06:50 PM
How was the installation? Is there a trick on how to pull the originals out and to install the new moldings?

moku
11-10-2004, 11:26 PM
It's all black leather, with the black and grey fabric down the center.
Yeah, I guess that won't work all that well with the rest of my interior, but thanks. I really want to get some better seats that have good bolsters.

moku
11-10-2004, 11:31 PM
How was the installation? Is there a trick on how to pull the originals out and to install the new moldings?
Super easy. I was actually surprised how easy it was.

Basically, all you have to do is pull out your old ones and pop in your new ones, literally. You want to be a little gentle when you're removing the old ones and you may need to use a screwdriver wrapped in a cloth to help wedge the stubborn ones out. But for the most part, you should be able to just pull them right out. Then just line up the clips of the new moldings with the holes in the side of the car, and push in. You should also make sure the rubber caps are fitted on the top of the clips properly so that you get a good fit (they look like mini condoms). That's it... you're done!

Mendi3
11-11-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the info. Those moldings make the car look so nice. We should try to do a ti meeting somewhere in the Bay Area sometime. It'll be interesting to see other ti's. Your thoughts.

Mendi3
11-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Well, the DASC should be here next week. I can't wait until is done. I have a question for Moku. Have you changed your differential? My mechanic is telling me that would be wise to change it, specially for cruissing speed.

1996 328ti
11-25-2004, 04:50 PM
I don't know why changing the diff ratio would matter.
I do think you will have problems in the future because it is a small case diff.
The 6 cylinder diffs have a larger housing.
I burned up my stock LSD. And open diff may last longer.

Mendi3
11-26-2004, 05:36 PM
So it's not something that I have to worry about right away. I would like to change it to a differential that at cruise speed the ride is going to be smoother. I understand that the perfect match would be an E30 differential with a 325is axles. I'm not sure if I understand what an open diff is. Is it the same existing one without a cover? Help me understand.
Thanks for the advice Steven.

moku
11-27-2004, 05:34 AM
Well, the DASC should be here next week. I can't wait until is done. I have a question for Moku. Have you changed your differential? My mechanic is telling me that would be wise to change it, specially for cruissing speed.
No, I didn't change out my differential and my car runs just fine at cruising speed.

Remember, the major benefit of the DASC is that it was built to run on a stock setup. Swapping out your exhaust, differential or tranny will probably help, but are not necessary. The only thing that I'm planning to do is install a new exhaust, but that's it.

You must be excited, because I could hardly wait to get mine installed. You're going to love it! Let us know once it's done.

Mendi3
11-27-2004, 06:08 AM
Moku, great to hear this. I guess for now I'm just going to enjoy the DASC. Next week the car is going to the shop and I should have it back for the weekend.