PDA

View Full Version : Undefined What is it worth?

gusgriff
05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
What is the expected price range for M42 engines in the 80K-120K range and also in the 150K-180K assuming they still running. I would be interested in the same info for automatic transmissions.

To take this a step further I would be interested in the expected prices for worn but rebuildable non running engines and auto transmissions. I can and have rebuilt engines, clutches and manual transmissions but not an auto transmission. It would be a good challenge and learning exercise.

I would appreciate any help on understanding the market and pricing fort the 318Ti equipment. The rest of this post is just a little background and my thoughts on what I am planning. Any comments on these would be welcomed.

I bought 1995 Ti (auto with 137K miles) with a M42 and a cracked head. I have discovered spare used heads are not in abundance. I have not found many shops that offer rebuilt heads. I also am not sure of the condition of the lower engine block because if the cracked head was due to overheating I do not know what other damage could have occurred. No plans or desire to switch to the M44 due to the ODB-I/II issues and cost. Daughter's college car so no need for M50/M52 engine with manual transmission switch.

I found an engine in a wreaked 94 318is with 102K miles and a 90 day warranty plus another M42 that supposedly that ran has 80K miles. I am considering buying one or both and using one as a backup and future rebuild but what would be fair price to pay and I realize shipping is not included.

Platanos
05-07-2012, 12:41 AM
I sold my m42 with 150k locally for $300. I also found a transmission (a few months back) fairly local for $100.