PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Car

gusgriff
05-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I know this may be a odd request but I do not want to lift the car a corner at a time. The Bentley does not give me enough info for me to determine if I can raise the car and place on jack stands like I did my e28. What I did with the e28 was place a 2-3 foot timber along the underside of the rocker panel and used the floor jack to lift one side at a time. Is the underside of the Ti frame strong enough if a 3-4 foot timber is used between the lower lift pads. If I have a timber long enough it could set under the lift pads but a spacer would be needed in the center over the jack area due to the timber deflecting unless I can fit a 4X4 between the jack and the car frame.

I need to raise the car to remove engine, transmission along with exhaust system and driveshaft.

Bobtail_Bimmer
05-09-2012, 05:17 PM
If i was you i would just do it a corner at a time. You will spend more time trying to get around it than just doing it. You will want to use jack stands to safely keep the car up plus the timber will most likly get in the way.

J!m
05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
When I need to do this, I lift the rear first with a block of wood under the diff housing (not the cover!) and place jack stands under the rear sub frame just inboard of the sub frame mounting bolts.

The lift the front, with a block of wood under the front crossmember and place a jack stand under the front sway bar mounts (frame side bushing mounts).

This is solid and secure (unless your car is really rusty) and you can do all under-car disconnections without having to change lift points.

gusgriff
05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks all. I did not consider the front and rear lift due the low clearance and distance back to cross member but got a new low profile jack that may fit.