PDA

View Full Version : AC Compressor Removal Graphics in Bentley Manual

gusgriff
05-21-2012, 03:14 AM
I need a little advice before I damage something.

The AC Compressor on my 95 M42 Ti is not what is shown in the Bentley manual or RealOEM.com. I am inputting the car's VIN into RealOEM.com. I also realize the Bentley does not specifically claim it represents the Ti but is does cover M42 engined 318s. I am not trying to remove the compressor just move it down to replace the engine.

The diagram in RealOEM and picture in the Bentley appear to show a compressor with 4 hex bolts connecting it to the mounting bracket. These 4 bolts are on the top and bottom left side of the compressor.

On my Ti there are 2 hex socket bolt inline but opposing each other like they are intended to act as a pivot joint. I have removed these 2 bolts and the compressor does move a little but will not lower. At first I thought this was a not moving down because the hoses and/or electric cable was not flexible enough. I looked again and there appears to be a third on top of the compressor. I hope I can access it with damaging or removing the freon lines. These may be Items 5, 7 & 8 in the RealOEM diagram. Since Item 6 has no part number I would mean it is not used in my car.

Can anyone clarify the diagrams and maybe lead me to correct diagrams?

J!m
05-22-2012, 02:11 PM
When I did my engine swap I had to change the compressor and mount bracket with it in the car.

Let me say this- it is a TOTAL PITA.

I suggest you bite the bullet and have the system evacuated and pull the compressor with the engine. Yes, yours is a 4 and mine is a 6 but the mount is similar, and not really designed to be removed with the engine in the car and hoses attached unfortunately. Tape compressor holes off to keep dirt from falling in, and also cover the hose ends for the same reason. Purchase a new dryer canister as well (not very expensive).

That is not to say it cannot be done, because it is (maybe?) possible, but I think the compressor needs to come forward to come out of the mount bracket and with hoses attached that is of course not possible.

Any factory service guide for compressor replacement will show step 'one' as evacuation...

gusgriff
05-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. I was struggling that realization. The dryer is $35 for a Behr and $58 for a Kenmore (OEM). A Flush ( if done) is maybe $25-$30 and the Freon $60-$80

J!m
05-22-2012, 03:14 PM
The up-side is your A/C will work bewtter after it is flushed and refilled with a new dryer installed...:cool:

GATOBMW
06-20-2012, 09:45 PM
I had troulbe removing ac compressor ..until i got a #6 allan wrench to remove the 3 bolts

bazar01
06-20-2012, 10:55 PM
It's doable. I removed my A/C compressor when I pulled the engine out. It's still running even after 210k miles after the engine change out due to overheat from a previous owner.
It was a pain in the @#$% though.

cooljess76
06-20-2012, 10:55 PM
I had troulbe removing ac compressor ..until i got a #6 allan wrench to remove the 3 bolts

I took a #6 allen, cut the "L" off of it and used the long part in a 6mm socket. Worked awesome.

98318ti
06-21-2012, 12:13 AM
When I swapped out my son's engine I used these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/7-piece-38-metric-long-ball-head-hex-socket-set-67888.html

Still took some time to get the compressor off, but I was able to leave it in the car with all lines connected during the swap. It works best if you lay under the car and have someone up top to tell you how to best thread the tool in. It is really hard to see.

cooljess76
06-21-2012, 12:40 AM
^^^That's essentially what I made.

98318ti
06-21-2012, 02:33 AM
You're much handier than I am Jess. :)

I never pass up the chance to buy a new tool, plus I'm pretty lucky to have a harbor freight close to me.