PDA

View Full Version : who lives out by me

paxmaster2000
06-03-2012, 07:57 PM
i am out here in presidential lakes in browns mills nj. anybody that knows about these cars please let me know. i am at a loss with this car.
the problem is that i did a hg. all went well. i just had it sitting idling for just around a half and hour. the temp gauge goes to the half point and stays. the heat is hot. the problem is that when you first start it it spits from the exhaust and once it gets to right temp it will puff white when you rev it. as soon it goes back to idle it is as if nothing is wrong.
this is the main reason that i am trying to sell because i don't have anybody to point me in the right direction.
thank you
frank
paxmaster2000@yahoo.com

zoner
06-03-2012, 09:09 PM
All cars will usually spit a little water out of the exhaust when they are warming up as the hot exhaust gases condensate when they meet the cold steel of the exhaust system. This will disappear once the car is warm if everything is functioning correctly. If it continues to do this after the car has been at operating temperature for a length of time, it is generally a sign of a bad head gasket/cracked head.

When you rev it, is the white you're seeing steam or white smoke? The easiest way to tell is by 1.) Smelling it- water/antifreeze will usually have a slightly sweet/fresh smell to it; oil (which can sometimes look like a bluish/white) will usually smell just like that- burnt oil; and 2.) Watching it dissipate- water (steam) will generally dissipate very fast (unless it is cold outside) whereas oil will generally linger in the air a little longer before it dissipates

If this was the initial start-up after replacing the HG, let it run for awhile- sometimes there is some residual water in the exhaust that takes a little longer than normal to evaporate.

paxmaster2000
06-04-2012, 12:04 AM
well i don't smell anything when it revs. but as fast as the smoke comes as fast as it goes. the car runs so much better then it did when i bought it. i haven't driven it due to it not being registered. i guess i will have to do that.
when i did the hg on my 5 series it did the same thing for a while with the smoke but then went away.
it just doesn't run like a bad head.