PDA

View Full Version : NJ 1998 318ti w/California roof

318tom
06-19-2012, 04:47 AM
Very sadly, it's time for me to part with my 1998 5-speed manual 318ti (http://www.flickr.com/photos/newyorkinsider/7398897548). Click link for photo.

Body's in great shape (Moreau Green is the official name, though it's much more of metallic blue). Black canvas California roof is in fantastic shape....no nicks or tears, opens and closes like a charm, no leaks. Interior is grey leather; upholstery is in very good condition, with the exception of a few small tears.

And now, to the reason for giving the car up...it's been overheating, and the mechanic believes the head gasket is cracked, which he can't confirm for certain, but it's been leaking anti-freeze, and a hose replacement will not fix the problem.

Car still runs, but will not go more than 15 or so minutes before overheating. Anyway, I think it's a wonderful car for someone more mechanically oriented than I am. And though I would hate to see the car chopped up for parts, I suppose that's an option, too. I'm the second owner (purchased the car from my sister and her husband about 8 years ago).

Mileage is approx. 130K. I say approximate because the instrument cluster died a few years ago, and when the geniuses at BMW installed the new one, they lost the original mileage. However, that info is all documented with my dealership. Asking $1,800 for it. Please let me know if you're interested in more specs on the car or more photos, or would like to schedule a time to see it. Car is in northern New Jersey. Would love to see the car find a home with someone who can really get it running the way it deserves to.

Ragnorak
06-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Where in North Jersey are you located?

TroyAndEddie
06-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Those pastries look delicious! :)

Ragnorak
06-19-2012, 07:21 PM

Hah I saw that too.

hotmilk400
06-19-2012, 07:46 PM
o man, what a great price on a nice looking car. i hope it finds a good seller. if i knew how to replace the head gasket, i would have bought it in a heart beat. good luck.

ramLlama
06-19-2012, 09:01 PM
o man, what a great price on a nice looking car. i hope it finds a good seller. if i knew how to replace the head gasket, i would have bought it in a heart beat. good luck.

Same. And I live in North NJ!

Sadly, for my project car, I would like to have one that works, at the beginning.

318tom, good luck with sale, and I hope to see that gorgeous example on here again sometime.

Breticus
06-19-2012, 10:23 PM

I agree.

Artem
06-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Willing to swap california roofs? I can pay for shipping and ship you my roof.

Obviously for $$$ (let me know how much would make it worth your while)

Regards,
Artem

jca
06-20-2012, 02:45 AM
Do you know if the car's cooling system has ever been overhauled?

318tom
06-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Where in North Jersey are you located?

The car is in Upper Saddle. Very close to Paramus!

318tom
06-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Do you know if the car's cooling system has ever been overhauled?

I don't believe it has. Do you think that could be the problem rather than the head gasket?

318tom
06-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Willing to swap california roofs? I can pay for shipping and ship you my roof.

Obviously for $$$ (let me know how much would make it worth your while)

Regards,
Artem

In theory, yes, but I wouldn't have the first idea of how to remove and safely shop the roof to you. I do know the roofs cost a small fortune to replace! More than the value of the car.

If you have an idea of how this could work, I'm open to discussing the options.

318tom
06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Same. And I live in North NJ!

Sadly, for my project car, I would like to have one that works, at the beginning.

318tom, good luck with sale, and I hope to see that gorgeous example on here again sometime.

Thanks so much. Appreciate the good wishes!

318tom
06-20-2012, 04:48 PM

Thank you! : )

318tom
06-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Hah I saw that too.

Yes...the pastries were amazing! I'll include those for anyone who buys the car! : )

jca
06-20-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't believe it has. Do you think that could be the problem rather than the head gasket? I a word, yes. A ti with 130k miles on it, is way past due cooling system preventive maintainence, so there is a very good chance the overheating is being caused by a failure of one or more cooling system components. Likely suspect is the water pump. Overheating can cause of head gasket problems, but you may not have blown the head gasket yet. Signs of a bad headgasket: sweet smelling white smoke out the tailpipe, brownish white gooey stuff on the inside of the oil filler cap (coolant mixing with engine oil), loss of coolant (into the combustion chambers, causing the white smoke), contaminated coolent (engine oil leaking into the coolant system). There is a chemical test for this. At a minimum I would have the mechanic explain why he thinks the head gasket is blown and/or I would take the car to a good indie BMW mechanic for a second opinion. You have a very desireable ti in my opinion. Lovely color and a Cali top to boot. Good luck, John

ramLlama
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM
If you do find out the reason for the problem, and it isn't a difficult item to DIY like the head gasket, let me know. I would then be very interested in purchasing this vehicle.

To others, do you know how much it would cost to narrow down the problem? Or is this more of a "guess, replace, repeat if still present" sort of procedure?

Artem
06-20-2012, 08:37 PM
In theory, yes, but I wouldn't have the first idea of how to remove and safely shop the roof to you. I do know the roofs cost a small fortune to replace! More than the value of the car.

If you have an idea of how this could work, I'm open to discussing the options.

Hey Tom,

I replaced a lot of components in my roof (pretty much everything but the motor) and have a reason to believe that it might work as-is with just a good motor, so I will be willing to just buy the motor from you (to remove that it requires a removal of two phillips screws. If I had a good motor to go by, I may be able to make gears or design one that is easy to install inside the motor assembly for all to use later, as I have access to a machine shop and fairly neat materials like A286 steel superalloy for instance. (or if anyone else can give me their motor so I can make a gear for mine... thats all I really need - just a motor)

As far as your car is concerned, if you really like it and want to keep it, then a headgasket on a 4-cyl engine shouldn't run you much more than $1,000, and these motors are really robust and one shouldnt worry about its longevity with good maintenance.

I myself will be doing the same thing to my car shortly (head refresh + gasket), along with timing components to refresh the motor, before putting a DASC kit in it.

I love this little thing, and driving it side-by-side with an M3 and a newer E46, its a lot more fun as it is lighter and one can really throw it around. Its a very simple little car, so its fairly easy to work on as well. It does lack the acceleration, stopping power and handling characteristics of the M3 however, but that is mostly due to a larger steering wheel, smaller brakes, and smaller wheels with slightly softer suspension.

Cheers

318tom
06-20-2012, 08:59 PM
I a word, yes. A ti with 130k miles on it, is way past due cooling system preventive maintainence, so there is a very good chance the overheating is being caused by a failure of one or more cooling system components. Likely suspect is the water pump. Overheating can cause of head gasket problems, but you may not have blown the head gasket yet. Signs of a bad headgasket: sweet smelling white smoke out the tailpipe, brownish white gooey stuff on the inside of the oil filler cap (coolant mixing with engine oil), loss of coolant (into the combustion chambers, causing the white smoke), contaminated coolent (engine oil leaking into the coolant system). There is a chemical test for this. At a minimum I would have the mechanic explain why he thinks the head gasket is blown and/or I would take the car to a good indie BMW mechanic for a second opinion. You have a very desireable ti in my opinion. Lovely color and a Cali top to boot. Good luck, John

Thanks for the great info, John. The main symptoms the car has been experiencing are:
1) very fast leakage of antifreeze (tank drains to about 2/3 empty within minutes of starting).
2) coolant dripping from tailpipe.

Sounds like you've got some good experience with this....would these symptoms suggest the head gasket to you?

I'll look out for the other symptoms you mentioned, which I have not specifically noticed. But eliminating them would give me some hope that the car does have life in it yet!

Thank you again!

jca
06-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the great info, John. The main symptoms the car has been experiencing are:
1) very fast leakage of antifreeze (tank drains to about 2/3 empty within minutes of starting).
2) coolant dripping from tailpipe.

Sounds like you've got some good experience with this....would these symptoms suggest the head gasket to you?

I'll look out for the other symptoms you mentioned, which I have not specifically noticed. But eliminating them would give me some hope that the car does have life in it yet!

Thank you again!

Coolant coming out the tail pipe is almost certainly a blown head gasket. If you want to keep the car, take it to an established indie BMW mechanic, get him to look it over and give you an estimate for getting it in shape which would include replacing the head gasket and overhauling the cooling system, ie., new radiator, water pump, thermostat, probably new coolant hoses, and most definitely the two plastic coolant fittings, one at the back of the engine next to the firewall, and the other underneath the intake manifold. One or both of them often break sometime after 100,000 miles. Good luck, again. John

Vazquezp
06-21-2012, 04:05 AM
this is actually not a hard fix, The head gasket and the cooling system overhaul. The only part i think i'd dread is having to replace the plastic piece on the back of the block. Its a tight squeeze, but manageable. glws if you were closer to SC i would jump on this :)

jca
06-21-2012, 04:59 PM
My ti is just like this one, only without the cali roof which I would kill for. The challenge in selling the car is that it has to be repaired before it can be driven anywhere. Get a good cost estimate of the repairs then you keep the car and pay for the repairs or a buyer pays for the repairs and drives the car home.

hooverco
06-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Is there something wrong with the roof too? Any Rust?

hooverco
07-01-2012, 01:07 AM
We are interested-

ramLlama
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I am also interested. If you can get a quote for getting the engine back into shape, I am willing to negotiate a price on the fixed car.

hooverco
07-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Any update-still interested

Jdester
07-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Sent PM ans emails with no reply. Still available?