PDA

View Full Version : Changed my shifter bushings!

kchica415
06-30-2012, 04:23 AM
Officially changed the first part on my 318ti since I got it! :smile: I haven't been driving it much since the DMV is taking it's sweet time to get the title back to me so I can get plates (it's a long story), so working on it hasn't been in the forefront of my mind. BUT me and my friend mastered the bitch clip, spent more time just trying to get the new clip on because it wouldn't slide all the way through, then filed away at the inside of one of the bushings to get it to fit, and finally completed the project!

The car doesn't seem to shift that much differently, but you can feel it go into gear better. Once it is in gear the shifter still can move to the left and right quite a bit which is what I was trying to get rid of. If there is another relatively easy way to get this to stop happening as much I'm willing to take suggestions.

BlackBMWs
08-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Filed? hmmm. Four bushing swaps and I've never had to file anything. What didn't fit? :cool:

kchica415
08-11-2012, 12:37 AM
When trying to slide the bitch clip back through the bushings, it would go through the bushings, but wouldn't go through the other side of the metal piece the bushings are in between. Seemed like something wasn't quite lining up, maybe just a quirk about my car.

BlackBMWs
08-11-2012, 12:43 AM
When trying to slide the bitch clip back through the bushings, it would go through the bushings, but wouldn't go through the other side of the metal piece the bushings are in between. Seemed like something wasn't quite lining up, maybe just a quirk about my car.

Ah, yes, I just did this last weekend and I had to move the shifter support rod (with the bushing) around till it completly seated. I just asked as you don't want any excess play in the selector or support rods as that would translate to play in your shifter.

But if yours didn't fit and there wasn't any dirt/debris blocking it, I can see some filing action needed. :cool:

kchica415
08-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Yeah we tried moving it around, but as it got darker out and our hands got tired of reaching around up there we said screw it and just filed the inside of the bushing down.