PDA

View Full Version : 1996 318TI

Fred J
07-23-2012, 06:43 PM
We put a 1999 S52 M3 Engine into a 1996 318TI which already had a 323i Engine. It wasn't smogged has a salvaged title from Oregon, we're in California and we did an OBD1 Wiring Harness and we need to smog it. Check Engine light is not working we also put a 1999 M3 Instrument Cluster in we understand it did not have a Check Engine light before is it possible to smog this car with the 1995 OBD1 Upper End since we already have these things in place? However both the Engine and Chasis are above 96 & 99; any input is appreciated

wolferj-RIP
07-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Fred;

In short, no you cannot legally smog the car here in Ca. An engine swapped car needs to be certified by a state BAR referee, who will fail the car due to OBD1 electronics. All smog equipment from the 99 motor must be installed and functioning.

If an OBDII harness was used and all the correct smog equipment is in place, the swap is smog legal, as the engine is the same age or newer than the chassis.

Then you will be able to have the car tested for emissions based on the 99 M3 requirements.

Hope this helps!

James

J!m
08-01-2012, 12:43 PM
What he said.

That car is emission law illegal in most states at this point.

I have heard in CT it will be getting worse- not only does the engine have to be the same year or newer, but it has to be the same engine- no six swaps will be legal. M44 in place of M42 is even a potential gray area...

I have a paragraph or two in my swap manual because this is a very serious consideration if the car is to be used on the street. Maybe your local laws allow it now, but they can, and likely will change, and if you sell it, the new buyer will have to be told if he asks, or you could be buying it back from them!

daves-ti
08-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Hey guys, I'm just about to purchase a '98 Z3 motor (s52) to swap into my 96 TI (currently stock motor). I'm in Mass, same emission standards as California, so you're saying this means that I also would have to pass the smog emissions here my state with the new motor? Having a stock '96 motor made it such that I didn't have to have those tests here for my sticker in MA because the ti was over 16 years old.

Uber E30
08-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Hey guys, I'm just about to purchase a '98 Z3 motor (s52) to swap into my 96 TI (currently stock motor). I'm in Mass, same emission standards as California, so you're saying this means that I also would have to pass the smog emissions here my state with the new motor? Having a stock '96 motor made it such that I didn't have to have those tests here for my sticker in MA because the ti was over 16 years old.

I doubt you have the same emissions as CA, that's why most things are 49 state legal. We also don't have a dynamic age for cars to be exempt from smog, here its static anything past 75 has to be smogged. We also cant install turbos/superchargers, intakes, cats, headers and prob some other stupid stuff that im forgetting unless it comes with a CARB(California air resource board) cert.