PDA

View Full Version : Inspection II at Firestone ?

tipsyaj
10-28-2004, 02:57 AM
I got a friend that works at Firestone ... he said if I wanted he'd do my Inspection II ... I was going to get the tranny and brake fluids changed, flush the radiator, filters and get an oil change ...

Should I be wary ? He told me that they regularly service BMW's but I was wondering whether I should go with an import mechanic ... he said he'd only charge $100 ... what do you guys think ?

1996 328ti
10-28-2004, 03:06 AM
I would supply my own antifreeze from BMW and also the filters.
I have heard a story where someone installed an oil filter but forgot to take out the crush washer and plastic bag from the center of the new oil filter. Trashed the engine.
Inspection II also gets 2 microfilters. He may not be familar with that installation.

Be sure he uses the correct fluids.

Jeff Spooner
10-28-2004, 01:12 PM
If You Have A Lsd Make Sure They Use Gl5 Or Higher Gear Oil

tipsyaj
10-29-2004, 05:05 AM
We're doing the microfilter, he's done work on some BMW's ...

I ordered anti-freeze, filters, and NKG plugs, and they use Dexxon tranny fluid. I've had the brake pads, rotors, and ball bearings already replaced, so it's not a problem ...

They use Mobil 1 and I'll probably use 5w30 cuz Michigan's got some harsh winters ... that's the way to go, right ?

I just don't wanna spend $500 on a service I can get done for $ 100 with parts ... I'm thinking it should be ok ... but if there is anything else I should look out for, lemme know !

1996 328ti
10-29-2004, 02:06 PM
I think you are set.
Clean the battery terminals and check the water level.
If you don't swap wheels often use some antiseize on the hubs.