PDA

View Full Version : Cosmoline

cmptrwiz
08-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Manufacturers used to spray the surface of cars with Cosmoline to protect them from damage from saltwater or acid rain during shipment. I forget the name of the stuff that we used in New Car Prep to remove it. I worked at a Honda dealer and Nissan/BMW dealer We removed it from cars and engines as soon as the cars arrived).

The product 'Prima Cosmonot Cosmoline Remover' claims to remove it. Though having been baked on for so many years I have my doubts. I have ordered some and will post 'after' pictures...

Mr.Squeelerz
08-22-2012, 03:15 AM
I used to build high precision lathes and milling machines. Used this stuff all the time. Not fun to remove.

zoner
08-22-2012, 05:46 AM
I've heard that mineral spirits or kerosene also work- I'm inclined to think that CosmoNot is mineral spirits based.

I know a lot of gun enthusiasts that just drop parts in boiling water and they say it works better than anything but obviously gun parts are rather small and you can't drop an engine in boiling water...

pdxmotorhead
08-22-2012, 06:03 AM
I just used aircraft paint stripper.. Took it right off.. :)
Of course it was only the valve cover and I had it off the car...

Dave

jggonzalez
08-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Anything you can use to take it of the valve cover while it's still installed? I'm a lazy ass SOB!

cmptrwiz
08-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Anything you can use to take it of the valve cover while it's still installed? I'm a lazy ass SOB!

'Prima Cosmonot' and/or ZYMOL STRIK ENGINE DEGREASER COSMOLINE REMOVER, can be used like 'Gunk' to soak on the engine 'in place' and then rinsed...

(Important Note: Follow standard engine washing precautions, to protect the DME - for example)

I will let is sit 15 minutes and check the dissolve process is working. I have a hose in the garage that I can hook to the Hot Water side of the sink... for a rin this will probably be what I do, once the Cosmonot arrives... I may try the Zymol product as well, if necessary!

Here's my "Before" picture again - since it doesn't appear (for me) in the original post...

Best James