PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear popping out (manual 5 speed)

yfztwan
09-03-2012, 09:04 PM
hi i have a 98 318ti w a 5 speed transmission and i have had this problem for quite some time now and asked around about what people think it might be and havent gotten one exact answer. but this is what is happening. all my gears are fine and work all the way through the rpm range. however when i try to shift into third gear it kicks out UNLESS you are accelerating and you have to keep a little pressure on the shift knob (push forward a LITTLE) ive never torn into a transmission or really know how they work to be completely honest but i do have tools and internet for research.

anybody know whats going on? why is it kicking out?

yfztwan
09-03-2012, 09:05 PM
and if anybody needs more info to understand it more just ask.....

thanks, Anthony

3.2TI
09-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Could be just bushings on the shifter. Do a search on the left search bar and see if you find an answer, it is the best place to start.

1996 328ti
09-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Also look at the similar threads section at the bottom of the page.

yfztwan
09-05-2012, 05:49 PM
the other forums say its the synchronizers but idk what they do....any help?
because all the other gears work perfectly

mohaughn
09-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Check your motor mounts and transmission mounts. It doesn't take much driveline movement to cause the shifter to hit the body and pop it out of gear.

3.2TI
09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
What he said....^

Michael_M
09-18-2012, 10:44 PM
It can be cause from Engine and/or Transmission mounts, bad news that I'm about 70% sure it might be caused from gear synchro!

Synchronizer mainly is the small part that when you actually shift it engages the gear, excessive wear might be caused from negligible maintenance to the gearbox (oil changes) and/or over stressing them, shifting without clutch or at higher rpm without proper clutching..

Theyll start first popping up from the gear, after a while you'll find it really hard to engage without hard acceleration, and then no shifting at all!

I'll try to inspect the gearbox oil for metal shaving inside the oil and take it from there!

paul somlo
10-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Could be a worn shift fork and/or slider. Also, the dog teeth on the speed gear, as well as the splines on the inside of the slider are "backcut", so as to stay engaged. The backcut portions tend to wear, to the point that they disengage. If none of this means anything to you, get a copy of "How To Rebuild and Modify Your Manual Transmission" by Robert Bowen. If it's not at your local library, they can usually get it for you via interlibrary loan, generally no charge.

I'd be interested in hearing how this plays out, since I'm in the middle of a partial rebuild of the Getrag 250 5 speed in my '96 ti.