PDA

View Full Version : Quaife

Jared
10-30-2004, 02:39 AM
Steven, are you using an e30 6 cylinder diff with a quaife? If so, impressions? (I'll probably have some questions for you beyond that too!)

1996 328ti
10-30-2004, 02:50 AM
Yes it is.
I like the Quaife in dry conditions. I liked the clutch pack LSD better on wet.
Today I took a turn and got on the gas a little too quick and got tail happy.
I don't think that would have happened with the LSD.
But the Quaife will outlast the car. I did not want to rebuild the LSD again.

Jared
10-30-2004, 03:21 AM
Thanks to whoever split this thread!

Steven, I've been looking into this for a while, because frankly I tear up e30 diffs without much of a problem (turbocharged 3.2L). I pretty much just replace diffs with *new* used diffs on a once-a-year basis. Think the quaife will take the power without without a problem?

Also, why do you like the clutch pack LSD better in the wet? Is the quaife that sensitive to slippery surfaces and lifting that it causes a problem? And how does the tail get happy... are you over-spinning one wheel on exit, or spinning both in too much of a *locked* manner?

And last of my current questions, who did you get your quaife from, and who did you have build it?

Thanks for indulging me a bit,

Jared

1996 328ti
10-30-2004, 03:59 AM
I split the thread. ;)

The Quaife acts like an open diff on wet.
J!M could probably explain it better.
A 6 cylinder Quaife will handle it with no problems. You also may be able to find a Torson diff. That should work too. I also have the M Coupe cooling cover. I keep my spare deflated otherwise it won't fit. I keep an air compressor with me incase I have a flat.

I got my diff from http://www.koalamotorsport.com/
It wasn't cheap but there is no one else I trust other than Brett.
You can buy a Quaife for probably $1250 but it is setting it up that is difficult. Well maybe not difficult for someone who knows how to do it. I've heard of places installing Quaifes into a diff housing a f'ing it up. You might end up spending $2600 but it is a one time purchase.

Tail happy?
Inside wheel was spinning.
I really notice the diff working well on tight turns.

316i compact
08-11-2006, 09:43 AM
So, let's say forget the maintenance, what diff would u choose thinkin only performance? Stock LSD/E30 diff or Quaife?

1996 328ti
08-11-2006, 11:42 AM
So, let's say forget the maintenance, what diff would u choose thinkin only performance? Stock LSD/E30 diff or Quaife?The cheaper route is a E30 LSD diff. I think the stock LSD performed better on wet than the Quaife.

BMWAutoXer
12-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Does the ti have the same problem the E30-M3 or E30s has with the quaife of inside wheel spin? I built a Street Mod 2.5L E30M3 with advanced Design and full ground control components....even with Jay's help we could not solve the problem of keeping the quaife engaged though all types of corners.

1996 328ti
12-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Does the ti have the same problem the E30-M3 or E30s has with the quaife of inside wheel spin? I built a Street Mod 2.5L E30M3 with advanced Design and full ground control components....even with Jay's help we could not solve the problem of keeping the quaife engaged though all types of corners.The only time I have noticed wheel spin is when the wheel comes off the ground. :biggrin: