PDA

View Full Version : removing air filter lead to bad o2 sensor?

gabealves
11-01-2004, 03:50 AM
I recently removed my air filter to get more air flow......temporary until i can get my hands on an intake. anyway....car has been fine.. until today..now it starts sometimes and doesnt start other times. and i think the "o2 sensor" light is coming on when the seat belt light comes on...but it goes away. Is it a bad o2 sensor??? anyone have experience with anything like this. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanx

GDB
11-01-2004, 05:59 AM
you probably got something stuck in your engine and it is screwing everyting up. You should IMMEDIATELY take the car to the dealership and have them fix whatever is wrong with it and NEVER attempt to do anything beyond put gas into your car ever again.

1996 328ti
11-01-2004, 06:00 AM
I would not drive without an airfilter. I can't imagine all the crap that is getting down your intake.

02 sensor light? There is no such thing.
Is your check engine light on?
Any number of things can cause that.
Is your car OBD-I or OBD-II? 1995 is OBD-I. 1996-1999 is OBD-II.

SRS light could be a passenger sensor mat or broken switch in the seatbelt.

I would also mention to the dealer or whoever that you pulled the airfilter so they have a clue where to look.

gabealves
11-02-2004, 12:07 AM
its actually an '84 318i. runs fine now...starts up better than it did in the first place. It really seemed like the engine was fludded, but ive rarely heard of a fuel injection engine flooding

bimmerboi318
11-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Yeah I definately wouldnt be running without a filter. The gains are not worth it at all. I'd suggest putting the filter back in and changing the oil.

bmw///m3///
11-07-2004, 12:07 AM
its actually an '84 318i. runs fine now...starts up better than it did in the first place. It really seemed like the engine was fludded, but ive rarely heard of a fuel injection engine flooding

ha bud, I think you posted on the wrong website///this sites mostly for m42/m44 :no: and who and the hell removes thier air filter?WTF

...simple diagnosis- if you didnt have this problem until you removed the air filter....hum probably thats why you are having the prob. just a wild guess.

barische
11-07-2004, 08:52 PM
lol

ddiorio1313
11-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Lord Jesus....Lets just take off the air filter and it is going to go faster....YeeHah! Who cares about all the dust, dirt, leaves, bugs and other BS that is going into my enginge!

ddiorio1313
11-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Barische: Whats ridiculous that a car you just said was a piece of **** is slower than your 318Ti....?

bmw318tiChic
11-11-2004, 04:08 PM
you probably got something stuck in your engine and it is screwing everyting up. You should IMMEDIATELY take the car to the dealership and have them fix whatever is wrong with it and NEVER attempt to do anything beyond put gas into your car ever again.

hahaha, i agree.

e30fiend
11-18-2004, 10:40 PM

I believe all E30's are OBD I, which means you can get the error codes for whatever is causing the check engine light to come on. Just because it magically starts fine now doesn't mean something isn't screwed up somewhere. If your O2 sensor really is bad then the check engine light will go on and off randomly, often after idling, and your car will run rich. Do your car a favor and search on the internet for 'E30 blink codes'.