PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Tank no cold mark??

sleighty
10-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi Everyone

just a quick one - there isn't a cold mark on my expansion tank. I assume its a pattern one. Can anyone tell me approx how high the coolant level should be or does someone have a pic. Its a 96 318ti M44. I've filled it to the middle of the tank numerous times and it always seems to find its natural level and no lower. However I think this is quite low.

I just want re-assurance really that the cold mark is quite low, I don't think its leaking from anywhere as there is no sign of it.

slade13
10-17-2012, 06:43 PM
I have the coolant level in the center of the tank cold.

sleighty
10-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Interesting, i have no overheating issues at all and yet it always goes down to the same level which is around quarter full. I fill it and it takes around a week or two to find this level again.

No sign of leaks

cooljess76
10-18-2012, 12:12 AM
It's self-leveling. Don't just fill it to top it off, ALWAYS BLEED IT. There's a writeup on how to PROPERLY bleed your cooling system located in the knowledge base section. When bleeding, you'll need to pour coolant to the very top of the threaded fill neck and watch for bubbles coming out of the bleed port. Factory radiators have a "kalt" (German for cold) mark molded onto the side of the expansion tank. If the system is bled properly, the coolant level will level out at this mark after you drive the car and let it cool.