PDA

View Full Version : unknown electrical plug

adamb
12-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Recently I tore my engine apart to replace the water pipes and coolant hoses on on 98 318ti. I also replaced my starter and the brushes on my alternator. When I was putting everything back together I realized I had misplaced some labels on the wires. I believe I put everything back together correctly as I'm not having any new issues and the engine runs smooth and cool. There is one connector I can't figure out where it goes.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/00/89/92

The first picture numbers 10-16 is the loom the connector in question comes off of which also has the connections for the MAF an the air box and misc.

10 - Temp. sensor, secondary air
11 - Valve, secondary air pump
12 - Tank venting valve
13 - Air-mass sensor
14 - Tank venting valve
15 - Air pump connection
16 - ZKE distributor

It's definitely not the air-mass sensor so we can rule 13 out. Here are a couple of pictures. The red arrows point to the wire loom bundle I'm talking about.

pdxmotorhead
12-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Intake air temperature? I have a 95 so not much help...

Dave

davintosh
05-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Probably a little late (just saw your link on the cooling system thread). I think Dave ^^^^ is correct; there's a two-pin connector on the front side of the airbox for the intake air temp sensor. I was scratching my head for a few minutes on that same plug this afternoon after putting things back together after replacing the cooling system parts on mine.

adamb
05-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Actually it was a plug for the DISA valve on the M44. Between the upper and lower intake is the disa valve and it has a plug on the bottom.

#6 in the realoem diagram.

davintosh
05-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Interesting... What year is your car? On mine (a '98) that plug was on a wire that came from the harness that dropped through the center of the intake.

Speaking of those wires, I'd like to get my hands on the engineer who decided that was a good way to build that car. What a flippin nightmare!

adamb
05-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Mine is a 98' as well. The plug is on the same loom that you are referring to. I just mislabeled them which lead me to mix up the connections. However that also led me to find a short inside one of the main wire looms. I had to dig it all apart again and lay a new wire inside the loom. After that i reset my check engine light and all was fixed. I just have a airbag light on now, so i have to find where that fault is. Im guessing it is somewhere under the passenger seat.