PDA

View Full Version : car alarm problems

luckyboy984
11-08-2004, 06:48 PM
I just got my 96 ti, all is great except for a loose shift knob and one hell of an annoying problem. The car alarm goes off randomly in the middle of the night. It will go off sometimes at random, but i've noticed it goes off around 4am too. Very annoying. I checked the manual and i know you can disable the alarm, my dad showed me how to do it. However, when i do disable the alarm, (holding the lock + unlock button until it blinks) the alarm will still go off! I'm going to call up the previous owner and ask him if he had this problem because he didn't tell me. I know its not people messing around with the car, because i keep it parked outside my apartment window, and it even went off in my driveway at home-home. Does anyone know anything about this? Or what i should do? Thanks

its really annoying to have to keep your window open every night with you car keys just so you can wake up to turn it off :shakefis:

Constant
11-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Common problem w/ these factory alarms is a sensitive glass breakage sensor.

First, see if the glass sensor is the one tripping the alarm. The blinking LED will have a pattern, look in the manual to find the correct "code" for glass.

If it is, call your local dealer and ask them if they'll take care of it under Service Bulletin #651696. They replaced my alarm module w/ a new one that had a green dot sticker on it. You could also adjust the DIP switches in the alarm module yourself to reduce the glass sensitivity.

BTW, even though I have the "revised" module, it still falses a ****load of times. I've since disabled the alarm and use it only for keyless entry.

Constant

maurolin
11-09-2004, 05:37 PM
I don't think BMW alarms have a vibration sensor. (unless it is INTERNAL)
If you have the 3 button ALPINE OEM alarm.. you DFINATELY don't have a sensor.
I have a spare 1998 Alarm and that doesn't come with a sensor either.

you can remove the module located under the glove box BEHING the metal reinforcement and LOWER the sensitivity. L H button.

luckyboy984
11-10-2004, 03:38 AM
hmmm..thanks for the advice! i'll check my manual to look for this code.

haha, my alarm just went off, it made me come check for a response to this post.

Tyler
11-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Yeah i had this problem too,kept waking up in the morning to here my car alarm going off,thinking someone broke into my car. I called up the dealer and they did something to it,ever since then i haven't had any problems.

first_bmw
11-10-2004, 06:37 AM
I have an after marker, Viper alarm, EVERY morning between 5-6am except this morning at 6:45am my Alarm trips, at first I thought it the local Paper boy screwing with me, but today I ran to see as soon as it went off and not a soul around.

Usually if its tripped it will go Beep, then if hit again BEEp, and the Third time BEEEP, Then Finally it will go full on, but in the mornings, no Warnings, just full blown, EVERY morning.. My car is a base, No factory alarm..... My new alarm has keyless entry, start, and alarm... And my sensitivity is NOT that high.... ODd...... Odd.....Odd...