PDA

View Full Version : No Fogging, No CAI...Just replacing air filter!

ddiorio1313
11-10-2004, 01:54 PM
It is time for me to replace my air filter, and I was going to do this than do that and so on...You know what...I am not doing anything now I just want to replace my air filter. Kind of curious on what air filter you guys would put in...just go with a paper filter, K&N, or Ram FX. I saw some RamFX air filters and they looked nice and where a little cheaper than the K&N. Any suggestions are appreciated....

1996 328ti
11-10-2004, 02:21 PM
I would look for a ITG drop in filter and stay away from K&N.

Filters are pretty important. You don't want any crap going into your intake. ;)

ddiorio1313
11-10-2004, 02:58 PM
I looked on BavAuto and they had a nice paper filter which I think I am going to get... It was only 15.00 compared to 45.00 for the K&N drop in filter. Where can I purchase an ITG air filter, I will consider it if I can find one....

NEKO
11-10-2004, 05:17 PM
I would look for a ITG drop in filter and stay away from K&N.

Filters are pretty important. You don't want any crap going into your intake. ;)

What's wromg with K&N?
You'll never need to buy another filter!

ddiorio1313
11-10-2004, 06:26 PM
I have heard that K&N filters aren't the best either...but some people swear by them.... I know with paper filters it prevents any water from getting into the engine if your intake happens to suck up some water. Where the material K&N filters are made of does not prevent water from slipping through.

NEKO
11-10-2004, 06:31 PM
I have heard that K&N filters aren't the best either...but some people swear by them.... I know with paper filters it prevents any water from getting into the engine if your intake happens to suck up some water. Where the material K&N filters are made of does not prevent water from slipping through.

I don't see how water is going to get into the factory air box and into the filter. I'd personally recomend a K&N over a paper filter any day.

ddiorio1313
11-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the advice....

bimmerboi318
11-10-2004, 07:47 PM
With the factory airbox you wont necessarily suck up straight water, but rain, fog, or mist gets in fairly easily. As I understand it, the water will wash the oil out of the K&N, along with the dirt it has entrapped. I recommend getting an oil analysis kit and checking it out and seeing what you find. I'm fairly confident that the K&N lets more dirt by, based on how dirty my throttle body got after running one. I switched back to paper. A good site to get a kit is bobistheoilguy.com. Alot of good info there on oils and filters.

1996 328ti
11-10-2004, 07:58 PM
What's wromg with K&N?
You'll never need to buy another filter!
You'll never have to buy another ITG filter either.

I have read lots of threads on K&N.
I don't remember all the specifics but tests show a lose of hp.
And let's face it, with 138hp at the crank, you really can't afford any more loss. Also they will allow dirt into the intake.

McDonalds sell millions of hamburgers every year. Doesn't mean they are good.