PDA

View Full Version : z3 coupe or 318ti ??????????

bmw///m3///
11-10-2004, 10:54 PM
im stuck in a delima. :shakefis:

either get a 318ti around $10k , not have payments but deal with a 4 banger with more room for my boards.

2002 z3 coupe, big 3.0 motor, exotic styling , borrowing over $10k, little interior room.

actually insurance is dirt cheap for either. (under parents), both have similar suspension, with the z3 coupe a all around better performer.

WHAT bmw YOU GUYS RATHER HAVE??????

2ndBimmer
11-11-2004, 12:29 AM
Id haveta spring for the Z3.

bmw///m3///
11-11-2004, 02:29 AM
the 318ti is 98 mtech silver 55k miles manual

the z3 coupe is 2002 sport dakar yellow 23k miles manual

GDB
11-11-2004, 03:59 AM
Z3 all the way, unless you need to room, and in that case get a 328.

TiPerformance
11-11-2004, 04:17 AM
I say the Ti, because it is a great car, you can haul about as much as a small suv, it will be paid for so you won't be paying interest on that additional $10,000. Maintance on a 4 cylinder is alot cheaper than a 6 cylinder. Also if you are going to spend $20K why not get the TI and then another decent vehicle.

bmw///m3///
11-11-2004, 05:11 AM
I already have a truck and vintage porsche so looking for fun daily driver. The truck has built 350 motor(bad gas mileage and loud). The porsche is old and can be stolen easily. So I gotta stick with german and I chose a newer bmw. Im in love with hatchbacks///
:grandpa:

aceyx
11-11-2004, 05:53 AM
for a third car, i'd go with the z coupe.

actually, i'd go for something with fewer wheels, but that's just me.

ZeroG
11-11-2004, 06:10 AM
im stuck in a delima. :shakefis:

either get a 318ti around $10k , not have payments but deal with a 4 banger with more room for my boards.

2002 z3 coupe, big 3.0 motor, exotic styling , borrowing over $10k, little interior room.

actually insurance is dirt cheap for either. (under parents), both have similar suspension, with the z3 coupe a all around better performer.

WHAT bmw YOU GUYS RATHER HAVE??????
I would opt for the "TI" put a blower in and wipe the floor with the z3. 10K for the car 3K for the blower and your good. And just think about all the ways that you can customize your ride by not having a payment.

Just my thought.

bmw///m3///
11-12-2004, 02:07 AM
I dont do shabby bolt on mods, I usually stick to factory stuff. Only mods would be snorkel intake and conversion to Euro spec.

Again, I appreciate you ideas and I still havent decided. But will get a car by this month and will update you guys if you like/care.

bimmerboi318
11-12-2004, 03:49 AM
I might go against the grain, but I think Z3 coupes are HOT. I love the styling. And we are talking the coupe right? Because I'm not too fond of the roadster. But the coupes...mmm...BMW definately makes some different looking hatches.

ZeroG
11-12-2004, 04:12 AM
I dont do shabby bolt on mods, I usually stick to factory stuff. Only mods would be snorkel intake and conversion to Euro spec.

Again, I appreciate you ideas and I still havent decided. But will get a car by this month and will update you guys if you like/care.

Well I guess that will be for another thread. I have highly modded 318 that wipes its ass with M3's..

Anyway, I still think the "TI" is the way to go.

bmw///m3///
11-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Zerog21 what mods are you running, curious? bmw factory can get over 1000 hp out of 1.8 liter engine. A bmw race engine though .I stick with factory for the obvious reasons of reliability. A engine is usually designed with specific purposes in mind , if its not made to throw on a turbo/sc, I willnot throw turbo/etc on there until the motors internal are redone(low reliablilty , expensive and if it blows up , $$$headache). Ive seen DASC customers with stock 318ti go over 200k so im saying thats not possible or realistic. Most bolt on stuff in the long run is shabby. My pops has owned a german garage for 30 plus years and sees alot of the problems of aftermarket stuff 1st hand. And if the factory stuff goes bad(under 100k) you can usually get it replaced by bmw NA. I love tuning up you car but this next car im going lstock , shooting for no problems. Just change the oil, turn the key and drive. Im going to college, surfing and flying so I dont have much time anymore to work on cars. Winter is here for you east coasters so that usually means alot of tinker time right. Also I think euro turners kick ass but most of the stuff is the US market lacks.

GDB
11-12-2004, 07:25 PM
bmw factory can get over 1000 hp out of 1.8 liter engine.

This I would be interested in hearing about.

TiPerformance
11-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Man it seems like you already had your mind made up before you came in here. Good luck with whatever you get.

bmw///m3///
11-12-2004, 07:38 PM
sure, but would like otherz opinons and thoughts before I throw down. If I had made up my mind completely Id already have a car. Thanks, I value what you guys have to say.

NEKO
11-12-2004, 09:03 PM
I wish the z3 coupe was at the price range they are at now five years ago because I would have bought one over the ti. Id go for the coupe over the ti.

NEKO
11-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Contrary to many's prediction, BMW developed a new 4-cylinder displacing 2302 c.c. specially for M3, instead of using traditional straight six. No problem, because BMW had gained a lot experience from the 1000 hp straight four engine for Brabham Formula One car in the mid-80s. Sixteen valves, high compression ratio of 10.5:1 and low friction parts contributed to the impressive 200 hp output. And of course, fewer cylinders means less weight thus benefit M3's racing career in World Touring Car Championship.

http://autozine.kyul.net/classic/bmw.htm

bmw///m3///
11-12-2004, 11:04 PM
thanks for the help . I saw on history or speed channel the history of bmw. In the 80s like stated above, the bmw formula team when finally done with the 1.8 got in the upwards over 1200hp , but it could be as much as 1500hp and it revved like crazzzy. put that in your ti :omfg:

NEKO
11-12-2004, 11:53 PM
thanks for the help . I saw on history or speed channel the history of bmw. In the 80s like stated above, the bmw formula team when finally done with the 1.8 got in the upwards over 1200hp , but it could be as much as 1500hp and it revved like crazzzy. put that in your ti :omfg:

I think its amazing what they can do with a four cylinder.

ZeroG
11-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Zerog21 what mods are you running, curious? bmw factory can get over 1000 hp out of 1.8 liter engine. A bmw race engine though .I stick with factory for the obvious reasons of reliability. A engine is usually designed with specific purposes in mind , if its not made to throw on a turbo/sc, I willnot throw turbo/etc on there until the motors internal are redone(low reliablilty , expensive and if it blows up , $$$headache). Ive seen DASC customers with stock 318ti go over 200k so im saying thats not possible or realistic. Most bolt on stuff in the long run is shabby. My pops has owned a german garage for 30 plus years and sees alot of the problems of aftermarket stuff 1st hand. And if the factory stuff goes bad(under 100k) you can usually get it replaced by bmw NA. I love tuning up you car but this next car im going lstock , shooting for no problems. Just change the oil, turn the key and drive. Im going to college, surfing and flying so I dont have much time anymore to work on cars. Winter is here for you east coasters so that usually means alot of tinker time right. Also I think most euro turners kick ass but most of the stuff is the US market lacks.

There are so many to count, but I will try my best.

272 Cams with 10.5 Lift
Titanium Valve Springs and Seals
Head Stud Kit (Helps with the 11PSI)
BMP AFPR (Sucks but does the job for now)
Head ported and polished including valve guides.
34.5 Lbs Fuel Injectors
Custom built CAI, drafts from the brake duct.
Split Second Mass Air Flow Meter Conversion w/ ARC II
Custom Software (I don't know if this helps it was built for the original car with just the blower)
M3 Brakes Complete
BBS LM 18X8.5 225 40's up front, 235 40's in the rear
Koni Coil Over Kit
TC Kline Racing springs and adjusters.
DASC Pulley Up Grade to 11 PSI (Full Boost 3500 RPMS)
RD Sport Sway Bars
UUC Short Shift Kit II
RMS Exhaust
Custom Oil Cooler
DASC
It's all about speed intercooler

I am sure there is more, but this all I can think of for now.

-Chad

bmw///m3///
11-13-2004, 12:40 AM
impressive....... where you located? Im used to dumbass kids just throwing on something hoping they will be fast and furious, it seems you did yours right. Did you did replace pistons or cranks?(not that you need to)

Sounds fast, wanna race?

ZeroG
11-13-2004, 12:49 AM
impressive....... where you located? Im used to dumbass kids just throwing on something hoping they will be fast and furious, it seems you did yours right. Did you did replace pistons or cranks?(not that you need to)

Sounds fast, wanna race?
On the last dyno run I got 212 RWHP. I am in the LA area. No Piston or crank work when we had the head off everything look good, plus it was going to cost another 4-6K if I did. As for the race sure. "Bring It" ....

-Chad

bmw///m3///
11-13-2004, 12:55 AM
I love to see people hauls ass in 4 bangers and woops ass on m3s. Most m3 owners shame on 318ti owners...........damn yuppies, screw them and leave in your dust. I was just kidding about the racing. Currently my fastest car is a 74 pantera , rebuilt high performance cleveland. If I get the z3 coupe its putting around the same bhp but is heavier, ill race you in that? (225 crank hp 3100 lbs) Youll probably win a straight line but maybe ill get you in the twisties.
Sounds fun :_peace:

do you know of any local meets/autocross/etc? im from yorba linda, oc.

2ndBimmer
11-13-2004, 01:07 AM
I saw on history or speed channel the history of bmw. In the 80s like stated above, the bmw formula team when finally done with the 1.8 got in the upwards over 1200hp , but it could be as much as 1500hp and it revved like crazzzy. put that in your ti

I saw this as well i believe.
They had a 1.8 in an indycar type racer (if i remember correctly) with quad turbos. They put it on the dyno after the driver noticed he could spin the wheels in 4th. They know it made at least 1200 horses. They dont know if it made more because the dyno stopped at 1200.

ZeroG
11-13-2004, 05:48 AM
I love to see people hauls ass in 4 bangers and woops ass on m3s. Most m3 owners shame on 318ti owners...........damn yuppies, screw them and leave in your dust. I was just kidding about the racing. Currently my fastest car is a 74 pantera , rebuilt high performance cleveland. If I get the z3 coupe its putting around the same bhp but is heavier, ill race you in that? (225 crank hp 3100 lbs) Youll probably win a straight line but maybe ill get you in the twisties.
Sounds fun :_peace:

do you know of any local meets/autocross/etc? im from yorba linda, oc.
I know that there is an autocross at Erwindale next month. I am thinking about going to that one. I think there is another one that some month in San Diego. Don't know about that one it gets kind of price because of the hotel. We'll see what happens in the straights and the twisties although I have to warn you when I got to Autocrosses I normally get my but kicked by stock 318's. I guess I just need to work on my technique.

-Chad

barische
11-13-2004, 06:20 PM
about z3's my mom been drving the ti for like 2 years and few months ago she test drive a z3 coupe she said she didnt like it becasue it was too small and didnt respond like ti and she didnt like the way it drives. also she sais it didnt have any electronic stuff like the personal comp (obc) i think.

Couverman98682
12-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Its a no brainer

1996 328ti
12-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Wouldn't the Z Coupe handle the same as the ti?
Same chassis, same suspension?
I'd love to have an M Coupe or even one with a 3.0.

schussey
12-04-2004, 09:52 PM
represent for the clown shoe shaped car.

i really like the z3 coupe. Even better, you should opt for the M Coupe!

-chris