PDA

View Full Version : stock cordobarot 5/1995 w/ M42 just passed 90k miles

SKstak
04-23-2013, 11:32 PM
I am seeking important to-do items for a 100k mile checklist including corrective/preventative measures. Recent replacements are listed below. I am the 3rd owner since mile 30k and I use the car gently, but my usage is about to increase, so I want to try to stay ahead of any major problems that might suddenly sneak up.

Other member postings to search for?..., websites or suppliers, etc.

(BTW the engine has a weird ugly surface deformity - began after 5 years)

Recent replacements:
> Spark plugs & wires done 2012

?does the fuel or vacuum system need corrections or preventative fixes?

> Oil has been switched to 15W-50 syntec (hard to come by on the shelf)

?should the pan be cleaned at the next change? also, transmission issues to consider beyond fluids?

> New rims and tires have been used for 8k miles now (good for 70k)

?what product can I really trust to combat browning & protect the rubber without leaving a sticky gloss? If I have the tires remounted in order to swap left & right sides, would it be worth it to implement a protective solution for the brake dust build-up on the inside of the rims? (de-mounting each wheel to hand wash it is a pain, and I've read that rotor coolers are only meant for racing applications and even dust shields can cause over braking issues )

> New akebono pads, hubs, & rear rotors installed 2012 (front rotors replaced in 2008)

?is it okay to enamel the new hubs, ... because they are now surface rusted?

Concerns:

Numerous items to consider for common engine idling misbehavior
(plus 2nd gear is pitiful and sometimes I wonder if there IS a 4th gear)

engine component suggestions?
gaskets, seals, filters
steering & suspension checks
cooling system problems
checks on mounts & various connections
problematic cables?

(Has anyone cleaned the under-carriage of their 318?) My work-over will need to include healing some significant year-round surface exposure to weathering during the past 7 years and not once having had a professional level "face-lift" beyond a dealer buffing.

?Should I consider a surface cutting w/ clearcoat revitalization & sealant?
Right now water still beads across the obviously marked surfaces BUT there are some spider cracks and large web-pattern "hairs/lines" when looking at sun glare

I might consider a performance improving chip & comfortable exhaust or non-lowering replacement rear suspension in conjunction with a shock-tower brace. (I've noticed the back-end slightly loose even though I have cycling and golfing gear back there)

Thank you for the feedback support.

- R.I.P I miss my 17" white '99 M-contours, BUT the diameter ratios were way too off. My 16" fat 5 star replacements provide a wider, noticeably enjoyable offset. I'll always keep the polaroids