PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio

brucelee
11-17-2004, 05:11 PM
I just installed an Alpine 9820 with a built in XM tuner. Good stuff as the music is commerical free, nicely sectioned by interest and the reception and clarity is top notch.

May not use many CDS in the future as this feature is so functional.

I LOVE not having commercials in my driving space!

ZeroG
11-17-2004, 05:51 PM
I just installed an Alpine 9820 with a built in XM tuner. Good stuff as the music is commerical free, nicely sectioned by interest and the reception and clarity is top notch.

May not use many CDS in the future as this feature is so functional.

I LOVE not having commercials in my driving space!

You're so right! I am not going to plug and some one is better then the other. But just thought I would drop in and say Satelite Radio is the future.

-Chad

GDB
11-17-2004, 06:25 PM
I don't think recorded music will ever fall out of style, CD's will go the way of the record, and be replaced with something else, but recorded music will always be around IMO.

But yeah, XM is awesome. When I worked at a chevy dealership I had to setup alot of them, I use to always jam out to the 90's station, 80's, and classical.

gooten1
11-18-2004, 05:18 AM
I have a pioneer which is "XM Ready", which means that apparently I have to pay more for the XM. How do I go about hooking it up?

sydeshow
11-18-2004, 07:53 AM
I have a pioneer which is "XM Ready", which means that apparently I have to pay more for the XM. How do I go about hooking it up?
well. even if you had the built-in tuner (like brucelee), you still have to pay extra. satelite radio is like satelite television. you pay for the subscription.

for xm (using pioneer, alpine, sony, delphi, etc), it is $9.99 per month.

for sirius (pronouced "serious"...using panasonic, jvc, audiovox, etc), it's $12.95 per month.

go to xmradio.com (http://www.xmradio.com/) and sirius.com (http://www.sirius.com/) for more info. or you can just ask me. like i've said, i've sold and installed these systems for a year professionally.

in your case gooten1, you will need an add-on tuner. for some reason, they moved away from brand-specific tuners starting about a year ago. but if you can find a pioneer GEX-P900XM or a GEX-P910XM (the newer of the two), you'll be most of the way there. when they sold, they went for $150-200 brand new. in addition to that, you'll need an XM antenna. i recommend terk (http://www.terk.com/). the most popular is the magnet mounted antennas (for example, XM3 or XMicro). they usually go for around $50.

but this way, you'll get the best sound quality for your satelite radio. however, i haven't heard the alpine with the built in tuner first-hand yet (it's the only model like it so far...isn't it? i know it's the first). so i don't know which sounds better out of those two.

but like i said, if you have any questions about car audio or satelite radio (even for the home or on the go), let me know. i've written even reports on it before.

e30fiend
11-18-2004, 08:54 AM
IMO the draw to XM or Sirius is the significantly higher quality of the sound. FM radio sounds like sh!t quite frankly, especially if you upgrade your sound at all. I put a 12" sub in my trunk and infinity reference in the front and FM sounds like the music is coming through a phone.

So yeah, recorded (or digital) music is where it's at. Then again I'm a DJ so I'm all about the highest quality possible.

gooten1
11-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Ok, well the Pioneer died today. Took it in to the shop (was still under warranty) and they replaced it with a Sony for free. I assume it's the same deal...get the add-on tuner and antenna then pay the fee?

brucelee
11-18-2004, 04:55 PM
To my knowledge the Alpine is the only built in XM tuner available. Yes, the sound quality is so much better than FM, it can't compare.

sydeshow
11-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Ok, well the Pioneer died today. Took it in to the shop (was still under warranty) and they replaced it with a Sony for free. I assume it's the same deal...get the add-on tuner and antenna then pay the fee?
yes sir. as long as your new sony is xm ready, you're ok.

i looked on crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/) and found this universal xm tuner (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kEuzI9FUj2r/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=176850&I=209XMD1000). that one's $50. and you'll also need the 'sony smart digital adapter' (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kEuzI9FUj2r/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=209XMDSON1&o=&a=) made to connect the tuner directly to your sony. that's $50 as well. but the good news is that the antenna is already included with that tuner. so you'll be all set...after your activation fee and month service charge of course.

also, if you have questions about installing, i could be of service there as well. so feel free to ask.

p.s. the only reason i put crutchfield as reference above is because that is where you buy sony's car audio products online. sony doesn't sell them on their site, but instead has a link to them. in the past, i've sometimes found crutchfield to be ridiculous in price. so shop around and check prices. terk is the manufactuer of the products i've mentioned above. perhaps go there for a little morre info. check it (http://www.terk.com/xmdirect/index.html).

sydeshow
11-18-2004, 05:12 PM
IMO the draw to XM or Sirius is the significantly higher quality of the sound. FM radio sounds like sh!t quite frankly, especially if you upgrade your sound at all. I put a 12" sub in my trunk and infinity reference in the front and FM sounds like the music is coming through a phone.

So yeah, recorded (or digital) music is where it's at. Then again I'm a DJ so I'm all about the highest quality possible.
infinity's are awesome! their reference series (lowest level they make for those that didn't know) are relatively inexpensive and still sound better than most speakers i've ever heard. if anyone out there is looking for speakers, my personal recommendation is infinity.

gooten1
11-18-2004, 05:14 PM
http://www.xmradio.com/xm_direct/aftermarket.jsp

The link to the XM Direct. The tuner that attaches to your aftermarket head unit to play XM.

sydeshow
11-18-2004, 05:15 PM
I don't think recorded music will ever fall out of style, CD's will go the way of the record, and be replaced with something else, but recorded music will always be around IMO.

But yeah, XM is awesome. When I worked at a chevy dealership I had to setup alot of them, I use to always jam out to the 90's station, 80's, and classical.
channels 47 and 48 are all i need. ethel and squizz. alternative rock. good stuff.

even though i do not personally have xm radio. haha.

sydeshow
11-18-2004, 05:18 PM
To my knowledge the Alpine is the only built in XM tuner available. Yes, the sound quality is so much better than FM, it can't compare.
well yeah. that's a given. haha.

i was just wondering about how much of a difference (if any) is there between the sound quality of yours with the built-in xm tuner and one with the add-on, direct-connect tuner. probably very minimal and unnoticable i'm guessing. but it is a lot more convenient.

sydeshow
11-18-2004, 05:20 PM
http://www.xmradio.com/xm_direct/aftermarket.jsp

The link to the XM Direct. The tuner that attaches to your aftermarket head unit to play XM.
yeah. or you can look at the link i put in my post. it goes to terk's site for the same thing. but i personally usually trust the manufactuer's info more.

miko
12-27-2004, 02:40 AM
Yeehaa! Got a Sirius satellite system for Christmas. Now, does anyone know how to hook it up to the factory OEM BMW radio? Does the factory radio have Aux inputs on the back? How does it remove from the dash? MY Sirius version is the Audiovox PNP one. Please help the electronically inept :>)

PS.. My car is a '98 active with 10 speaker and rear 6-disk changer

miko
12-27-2004, 02:47 AM
oops, I forgot I was in an XM thread..Sorry for posting here

gooten1
01-04-2005, 03:55 AM
I got the XM Direct system installed last week. I like it...nothing sticking out...keeps the car looking neat by having the system hidden and just run through the aftermarket head unit. (I'm using a Sony head unit.) I have the antenna mounted on the dashboard, between the defrost vents and the windshield itself...just at the tip of the driver's side wiper blade. I get no problems with reception or anything...and the clarity is soo much better than FM.

Of those that have XM, what are your favorite channels?

ZeroG
01-04-2005, 05:31 AM
Yeehaa! Got a Sirius satellite system for Christmas. Now, does anyone know how to hook it up to the factory OEM BMW radio? Does the factory radio have Aux inputs on the back? How does it remove from the dash? MY Sirius version is the Audiovox PNP one. Please help the electronically inept :>)

OK, if you are using the factory radio, you will have to use the ability of the PNP1's built in FM transmiter. I will basically broadcast to a low level FM channel that you tune into on the radio. All you will need to wire is the anttena and power.

-Chad

gooten1
03-14-2005, 02:19 PM
XM Radio is increasing their subscription fee. It was a reasonable $9.99 per month. Now they're increasing it to $12.99/month.
So my question would be...is a radio labelled as "XM Ready" capable of being hooked up to Sirius satellite radio?

XM doesn't get football channels, and only receives the ACC, Big 10, and Pac Ten for NCAA sports (I prefer the SEC over ACC, while the B10 and P10 don't really interest me.) I don't listen to MLB on XM or many of the other talk channels they provide. Which channels does Sirius provide when it comes to sports?

ZeroG
03-14-2005, 04:34 PM
XM Radio is increasing their subscription fee. It was a reasonable $9.99 per month. Now they're increasing it to $12.99/month.
So my question would be...is a radio labelled as "XM Ready" capable of being hooked up to Sirius satellite radio?

XM doesn't get football channels, and only receives the ACC, Big 10, and Pac Ten for NCAA sports (I prefer the SEC over ACC, while the B10 and P10 don't really interest me.) I don't listen to MLB on XM or many of the other talk channels they provide. Which channels does Sirius provide when it comes to sports?
I would check with your loacal radio place to find out for sure.

I am going to say that I think a radio labeled "XM Radio" could not be hooked up to a SIRIUS tuner directly you may need some kind of an adapter. But like I said I am not sure.

SIRIUS is the way to go !!!!

-Chad

sKunkman
03-14-2005, 10:18 PM

You need an xm adapter, which im not sure how to hook directly to your radio but I'd recommend getting a new Head Unit with a built-in sirius adapter (or sat. radio, some of the newer alpines liek the 9833 have both xm and sirius capable) . It saves a few dollars because you dont have to buy a tuner, will make your speakers sound MUCH better, and is most likely easier to hook up. If you have a 98 though, it should come prewired and maybe not be that hard to hook up. So it's up to you, go check out your local electronics/car stereo store and they can tell you, or find out what you can on www.crutchfield.com

luirra
03-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Where could I get the same radio? also, was it difficult to install the antena for the XM radio?

I have a 96ti and I have been the only owner. It has 198,000 and runs just great! I never had any problems. The radio however does not sound good anymore and I thought of upgrading it along with the speakers.

Thanks
Luis

ZeroG
03-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Where could I get the same radio? also, was it difficult to install the antena for the XM radio?

I have a 96ti and I have been the only owner. It has 198,000 and runs just great! I never had any problems. The radio however does not sound good anymore and I thought of upgrading it along with the speakers.

Thanks
Luis

Take look at my gallery I have a SIRIUS XACT which was PNP installed in my TI and it looks stock.

-Chad