PDA

View Full Version : A question about wheels

dinuguan
11-29-2004, 10:48 PM
I found this website while trying to do some research on my 318ti wheels...

Over the thanksgiving break, I hit a bad pothole with my 318ti. My two left wheels(rims) were slightly damaged, and my tires started to lose air. I used a can of tire sealant, one each, from a nearby gas station. The tires inflated, and seemed to drive ok.

I noticed now those tires on the left sides are slowly leaking. I went to a Firestone to get them patched, and they told me since I used the can of sealent they have to replace both of the tires. They are very new tires, about a year old.

I have a Costco membership, so I thought, if I have to get new tires, might as well get them cheaper. Well, the Costco tire guys took one look at my car, and they told me the wheels have to be fixed or replaced before they replace the tires, and they can't do that. They didn't know of anyone who could fix wheels either.

I've been calling wheel repair shops around here, but they are telling me that if they are steel wheels, then it's easier to just replace them then fix them. I really have no idea whether my wheels are steel or alloy...they have the original wheels on them...but I can't find any information on it in my manual or bmw info sites.

Anyone have any advice on this? Does the original 318ti have steel wheels on them?

Thanks in advance.

NEKO
11-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Which wheels came on your TI?
If your wheels are black and have a plastic hub cap, they are steel wheels. Otherwise they are most likely alloy.

dinuguan
11-30-2004, 02:30 AM
They are black from all the road grit on them, but they do have a plastic cover...so I think they are all the steel wheels...I'm thinking now I'll probably replace them...

aceyx
11-30-2004, 03:41 AM
having lived in boston for 5 years, i've had many a flat due to potholes (or as i like to call them, failed expeditions to china).

steel rims can be reasonably bent back. NTB does it ($15?) and my dealer did it for me before. i've only ever had to bend them back because they wouldn't hold air, so within reason this should work for you.

they will be slightly out of true, but since the steels are 15s, that slight irregularity shouldn't show up unless you're hitting triple digits.

if it doesn't work or if you want them perfectly straight, new steels run $70 from the dealer, but you should be able to find them at a junkyard for $20 if you can barter. i imagine there are a lot of wrecked bimmers in your area. also call wheel shops. people are upgrading, and probably just leave the steels with them.

dinuguan
11-30-2004, 04:52 AM
thanks aceyx, I'll call NTB and see what they say.

95ClubSportDelaware
02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
How about if it's the 5 spoke 16" alloy wheel? Funny, same story from Costco. I see them for $244/ea. at bwmwheels.com, and there a bunch of people who claim they'll repair it for 80-120 or so. What's the consensus on repairing bent alloy? Too weak? How about the new price I'm quoting? Fair? Really I need 3, but only 1 won't hold air.

mohaughn
02-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I know around my area if you damage your car because of a pothole and you call the local government responsible for maintaining that road you can sometimes get them to pay for some amounts of damages. I think the way it works out is that they have 24 hours from the time the pot hole is reported to fix the problem. If you hit that hole 1 day after it is reported they are liable. I'm sure this probably changes in other areas.

How is it in areas where it gets cold enough that you get ice damage on roads? I would imagine it is practically impossible to keep roads in good condition where it gets really cold.

Tyler
02-03-2007, 01:44 AM
I know around my area if you damage your car because of a pothole and you call the local government responsible for maintaining that road you can sometimes get them to pay for some amounts of damages. I think the way it works out is that they have 24 hours from the time the pot hole is reported to fix the problem. If you hit that hole 1 day after it is reported they are liable. I'm sure this probably changes in other areas.

How is it in areas where it gets cold enough that you get ice damage on roads? I would imagine it is practically impossible to keep roads in good condition where it gets really cold.

I lived in Boston for 25yrs and they don't do that there. Basically you hit it, your problem so fix it.