PDA

View Full Version : Steering WheelSwap ????

ZeroG
11-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Anyone out there have a write up or instructions on how to do a steering wheel swap? I bought a new three spoke and need to pull the Air Bag out of my old one and placce it in the new one and then install the wheel.

-Chad

weezer
11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Please clear something for me; are you replacing the whole steering wheel and airbag or just the steering wheel and re-using the airbag?

ZeroG
11-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Please clear something for me; are you replacing the whole steering wheel and airbag or just the steering wheel and re-using the airbag?

I plan to change the steering wheel reuseing the current Airbag.

-Chad

weezer
11-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Is your current steering wheel also a three spoke? or is it four spoke? You can't re-use the airbag from your 4 spoke, it will not fit.
Does your new 3 spoke steering wheel come with a slip-ring on the back of it?
This is a round object that houses wires for the airbag and horn, it is black.

weezer
11-30-2004, 04:41 PM
I also got a three spoke wheel off of an M3/Z3, but could not find a used airbag for under $400.00 and sold it and bought after market steering wheel instead.

ZeroG
11-30-2004, 06:19 PM
I also got a three spoke wheel off of an M3/Z3, but could not find a used airbag for under $400.00 and sold it and bought after market steering wheel instead.
The wheel that I am taking off is a 3 spoke as well just the new one is in better condition. And yes the new Steering wheel came with the slip ring.

Was a steering wheel puller required? What other tools are needed? How do take the airbag off with out it exploding in your face?

-Chad

weezer
11-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Before you do anything with the steering wheel, disconnect the battery!!
You will not need a steering wheel puller, it should come off easily after all the necessary steps have been done.
You'll need a t-27 torx screwdriver or bit if using a wrench and a 17mm socket wrench or using your lug wrench if possible.
Use the torx screwdriver to open the airbag, there should be two screw just behind your left and right spokes. The airbag will come off easily, be careful not to pull on the wires too hard. Disconnect the wire to the middle plug, and your airbag should come off. Using your 17mm socket wrench unscrew the center bolt/screw of the steering wheel and the steering wheel should come off easily. Before taking off the steering wheel, open the bottom cover of the steering rack with a phillips screwdriver and you'll be able to see wich wires to disconnect before taking off the wheel. If your new wheel is the correct wheel, all the wires will plug into the its original spot.

Hope that helps
Hope that helps.

ZeroG
11-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Before you do anything with the steering wheel, disconnect the battery!!
You will not need a steering wheel puller, it should come off easily after all the necessary steps have been done.
You'll need a t-27 torx screwdriver or bit if using a wrench and a 17mm socket wrench or using your lug wrench if possible.
Use the torx screwdriver to open the airbag, there should be two screw just behind your left and right spokes. The airbag will come off easily, be careful not to pull on the wires too hard. Disconnect the wire to the middle plug, and your airbag should come off. Using your 17mm socket wrench unscrew the center bolt/screw of the steering wheel and the steering wheel should come off easily. Before taking off the steering wheel, open the bottom cover of the steering rack with a phillips screwdriver and you'll be able to see wich wires to disconnect before taking off the wheel. If your new wheel is the correct wheel, all the wires will plug into the its original spot.

Hope that helps
Hope that helps.
Yeah, that'll work thanks..

-Chad