PDA

View Full Version : Intake (cheap and dirty)

gooten1
12-03-2004, 04:47 AM
Ok, my intake is cheap and dirty, but it works and that's what matters.

On the M44 engine:
I used an 8" K&N round filter. I removed the stock airbox, intake, and tubing connecting the intake to the airbox. I unhooked the temperature sensor and the smaller 1" diameter hose that runs to the air pump. I slid the airbox off of the intake piping just forward of the ASC valve/MAF thing. I slid the cone filter on and used a metal band clamp to hold the filter onto the plastic ring where the old airbox was. That's it.

It makes the engine bay look much less crowded, lowers the stock exhaust sound to a deeper note, and IMO helps with acceleration by letting more air in. Also lets the engine rev more freely.

:joy:

Let me know if you need more specific directions on how to remove stuff or whatnot. (=

gooten1
12-03-2004, 04:48 AM
I can tell you how to do it to an M42 motor too, just PM me.

GDB
12-03-2004, 05:33 AM
That's a good start but you may want to make a heat shield for it. Although it is allowing more air in, it is getting hot air (hot air = less air than cold air).

gooten1
12-03-2004, 05:42 AM
Yes, that's next....planning to get a piece of aluminum from a construction site, cut it to size, and try to channel up some air from directly below the filter...below where the horns are.

L84THSKY
12-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Pictures please :mrhappy:

Ok, my intake is cheap and dirty, but it works and that's what matters.

On the M44 engine:
I used an 8" K&N round filter. I removed the stock airbox, intake, and tubing connecting the intake to the airbox. I unhooked the temperature sensor and the smaller 1" diameter hose that runs to the air pump. I slid the airbox off of the intake piping just forward of the ASC valve/MAF thing. I slid the cone filter on and used a metal band clamp to hold the filter onto the plastic ring where the old airbox was. That's it.

It makes the engine bay look much less crowded, lowers the stock exhaust sound to a deeper note, and IMO helps with acceleration by letting more air in. Also lets the engine rev more freely.

:joy:

Let me know if you need more specific directions on how to remove stuff or whatnot. (=

schussey
12-03-2004, 07:59 PM
yea dude, pictures please!

and you should definitly look into a heat sheild, because as of right now, you are getting maximum hot air.

Also, after you get some miles on the K&N filter, be sure to clean the K&N with a recharge kit.

-chris

gooten1
12-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Ok, will get pics soon. BTW...if anyone wants the stock airbox I'll make you a good deal on it.... lol. Also, I'm thinking of using the piping that used to feed the airbox to blow some cool air into the new filter...sound good?

cali-ti
12-10-2004, 11:30 PM
how much for your old airbox?