PDA

View Full Version : H&R and Alignment Questions

John W
12-04-2004, 08:17 PM
I purchased a '97 ti (Active Package) last week equiped with Bilsteins Sports, H&R springs and 17" Borbet alloys. The car rides and handles nicely, but I do have a few questions/concerns about this setup.

Having not driven a lowered car as my daily driver in years, I had kind of forgetten about the compromises it entails. On my car, going over speed bumps straight causes the car to bang down on the front frame rails--unless the bump is taken sideways. Is this normal for this setup?

Also, all four tires are wearing on the inside. I expected this in the rear, but is the negative camber up front also so excessive that this can happen or do I just need an alignment the next time I buy tires?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what I need to change/ what I can keep the same to get the suspension dialed in the way I want it. Basically, this car is a daily driver first, but will see eight to twelve autocrosses a year (the first one actually tomorrow) and about three track days in that same amount of time. I am not adverse to raising the car up a bit if anyone sells a good set of somewhat less-low springs; if that will correct the excessive negative camber and the bottoming out over speed bumps. I don't want to throw a whole lot of money at the suspension and I want to keep it more streetable if anything.

What is everybody else using?

Sorry for the length and all the questions (and my ignorance) ... I'm still trying to get a better feel for this car and what works well.

Many Thanks!

John
'97 318ti (the next work in progress)
'72 BMW 2002 (with Eibachs and Bilsteins, but none of the above problems)
'91 Sentra (KYB AGXs, stock springs, excellent track/autocross/daily driver)