PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay?

gadgetphreak
12-05-2004, 08:24 AM
I am looking at making an offer on a 98' ti Sport with 58k miles on it and was wondering what you guys think...

Jet Black - 5spd - M-sport appearance package & Millpoint red/black interior.

Well maintained and lightly modded, here are the details:

Performance
- 1.9L inline 4 cylinder engine
- Sport suspension
- Chrome-tipped Supersprint exhaust
- Rear-wheel drive

Exterior
- Jet black
- M-sport appearance package
- Tinted windows
- 18" Moda R6 5-spoke alloy wheels
- Original 16" BMW 5-spoke alloy wheel set included
- BMW euro clear front/rear/side indicators with amber bulbs
- Fog lights

Interior
- Millpoint red/black interior featuring
- Red stitching throughout the car
- Leather/cloth-split sport seats

Comfort
- 2-stage heated front seats
- Air conditioning
- Power tilt/slide sunroof
- Premium 10-speaker stereo with 6-disc MP3/CD changer
- Padded leather armrest with cup holder
- Rear sun shade

Car has maintenance records (done by dealer) and has always had Mobile 1.

Original asking price was $13,900 - currently he is down to $12,500 but I think he would go lower.

The prices I have found on Autotrader are much lower then that. Here is what I found:

141 examples in Auto Trader
Highest - $15500
Lowest - $3690
Average - $8480

I like the car, it would be a good fit for the need I have. I have driven it and am satisfied with the level of performance it offers, especially given the gas mileage. A DASC could be added when I start to get a bit stir crazy... The paint has only minimal chips & dings and both interior and exterior were in very good condition.

Thoughts? What would you pay for this car..?

swits
12-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Is this car in the Seattle area? I saw the ad and pics if it is. One of the nicest ti's I've ever seen!! I'd pay a lot for it since ti's in the Seattle area are pretty expensive and Strictly BMW, one of the most respected BMW shops in the area, did all the work on it. I'm not sure HOW much I'd pay, maybe around 10-11k. His asking price was twice what I paid for my car, which seems like way too much when you look at it that way.

1996 328ti
12-05-2004, 04:17 PM
There are some neat options added that you normally don't see.
The armrest and sunshade is very useful. I have them both.
18" wheels are too big for my taste but they probably look good on a black car.
Only thing I would do is change the amber bulbs to the ones that look clear but blink amber. I really like the millpoint seats. Heated seats are nice. :)

The question is really, what is it worth to you?
From the description I can't see any reason to look the other way.
Black cars always look dirty, that is the only thing.
I'm not good at keeping my cars clean.

I say buy it and welcome to our little community.

gadgetphreak
12-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Swits-

Yah it's in Seattle area, probly the one you are thinking of (maintained by Strictly BMW). It is definitely in very nice condition. 10-11k is what I was thinking was the right price as well...

Steven-

I agree with the whole black car thing, especially in Seattle... and especially for an anal turd like me who likes things taken care of. The only thing you can do is throw some Xzilon on it and wash often...

Gadget

gadgetphreak
12-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Any other thoughts?

devilddog88
12-05-2004, 11:56 PM
do u have any pics? if u do post them so we can see them. pics are worth 1000 words
but for the description sounds pretty good, however i wouldn't pay more than 10K for a ti. dont matter how good it is, but that is just me

aceyx
12-06-2004, 03:05 AM
see if you can wiggle him down another thousand. with the mileage and condition, i'm not sure you can do better than that. does it have cruise control? have you put it on a lift to see the underside? look at the person's garage too.

somehow i have better faith in people that actually use their garage enough to keep it clean, and not store everything they don't use in there.

gadgetphreak
12-06-2004, 04:05 AM
I am pretty sure he wouldn't go any lower than $11k for the car, he called me today and offered it for $12k if he kept the stock rims that were to come with it also. The other car I have been looking at is in just as good of condition and is a 1996 328i, silver w/blk leather, 5spd, 68k, garage kept, prem sound, sunroof... for $14.7k OBO. So if I could get the 328i for 13-13.5k I think I will be happier long term with the additional space, killer E36 styling, and better resale value for not much more money...

If it was your money, which way would you go..?

devilddog88
12-06-2004, 04:07 AM
328i but that's me

1996 328ti
12-06-2004, 04:16 AM
I have a 318ti with a 2.8.
The best of both worlds. :)

swits
12-06-2004, 04:39 AM
I tried to get back to his page with the pics of the ti and it was down. The only one I could get to was this (http://sylwia.switz.org/ti.jpg) one he had attached with the post. Looks pretty hot!

gadgetphreak
12-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Well I got him down to $11k so I will be picking up the car tomorrow... Soon I will have been assimilated and will be one of you.

1996 328ti
12-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Welcome to the fold.