PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Overfill Questions...

mrnine
12-06-2004, 04:10 AM
I changed my oil today as I've always done, but for some reason had a brain fart and put in about a quart too much. I smelled oil burning and wondered if I'd spilled some oil changing the filter. Somehow I then realized and confirmed that I'd overfilled by close to a quart. I've changed it a number of times and guess this time I just got careless.

I drained off a quart or so and got the level exactly where it should be. Took the car out for a spin and everything seems fine. I am thinking that I drove it a maximum of 3-5 miles with it overfilled. I definitely at least reached normal operating temperature a couple times.

Do I have anything to be worried about? The smell concerns me as it makes me wonder if I've blown a seal or gasket somewhere that will present problems in time.

Hoping I'm just being hypersensitive. Thanks for any advice.

P.S. Synthetic redline, correct torque settings, etc. I'm generally careful and cautuious with this but I guess I'm getting old. :)

1996 328ti
12-06-2004, 04:15 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing you can do now. ;)
My guess is ther eis somekind of blowby valve.

I added an extra quart once too.
Easy way to remove oil is to remove oil filter and suck it out with a turkey baster.
Easier than going underneath the car.

mrnine
12-06-2004, 04:35 AM
Steven,

Cheers to you for creating a forum/space that I can truly rely on, at times for a lightning-fast response to sometimes seemingly "end-of-the-world" questions. :) The increased traffic has really enhanced some of the discussions here.

Seriously, thanks! I assumed that this was something that was probably a non-issue. It's just great to know that I can post something here at 318ti.org and that in time someone will lend some knowledge or point me to resources.

I'm a web designer and web junkie and rely on the internet for many things. I honestly would call this one of my best resources. :) Thanks.

1996 328ti
12-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Steven,
I'm a web designer and web junkie and rely on the internet for many things. I honestly would call this one of my best resources. :) Thanks.
On the web since 9/11/99 :)
I won't give up trying to make this a good resource.