PDA

View Full Version : Fog Lights

gooten1
12-15-2004, 03:46 AM
I want fog lights...or driving lights...one. I think they make the front end look oh so much better. Which lights are better? ZKW or Hella? I know those are the two OE types...which is brighter? Do they both look similarly cool on the car? I like the whole chrome on black theme I have going now....chrome rings around the grille...chrome inside the corner lights...nothing flashy, but I like the look.

Also, how hard is it to wire them up? How does the foglight switch work inside the car? Having never had these driving lights...I want this to be good.

:dance:

aceyx
12-15-2004, 10:43 AM
i had foglights installed on my car. about 400 bones; probably could have done it myself but i wanted to give the dealer some work (keep up the rep with them). unfortunately the car isn't prewired for them, which is why it was so expensive.

wiring requires putting some wires through the firewall and messing around with the dash. if you're comfortable with that go ahead.

driving vs. fog? i needed fogs because i used to drive through the pocono mtns (pa) and the white mountains (vt/nh). it seriously gets crappy there, but nowhere near the fog i've experienced in western europe.

i think either brand will work fine. i actually have two different types because i seem to attract tire treads in the road, and i can't see a difference other than one's older and has more pitmarks. may want to get stoneguards for them if they're new. get decent bulbs and make sure your grounding is okay and you'll be fine.

maurolin
12-15-2004, 05:37 PM
I did it myself. you DON'T have to buy the expensive BMW kit. just get the foglights, the brackest a roll of good cable a relay and a switch. (I used an actual E36 M3 fog light switch)

weezer
12-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Maurolin,

Can you write step by step instructions how to install foglights. I've done it in my Audi, but it was such a hack job, it didn't quite look professional.
Also where on the dash did you put the switch.

Thanks,
Weeze

L84THSKY
12-15-2004, 09:20 PM
I think I could do it myself. I realize the OEM fog light knob was opposite the headlight knob, but couldn't I just mount a rocker switch next to the ASC-T switch?

maurolin
12-15-2004, 10:30 PM
I'll post pics. I took the power lead from the HEADLIGHT fuse, and upgradded the fuse 1.5 amp more.
the switch I installed on one of the 3 empty slots on the left of the steering wheel. (left side of the dash)
the ground I gor from the front bumper support
I used heat shrink through out the whole wire and the foglight connectors will be changed ad I am going with the H7 conversion.
I also GUTTET the shield INSIDE the foglight and it is SO MUCH brighter!!
the hard part is getting the wire from the left Foglight to the right one. I went inside through the bumper reinforcement bar. What's great, is that you can have the fogs on along with your high beams or by themselves. Unlike the E36, high beams kill the fogs.

lighting wise, I installed in my ZKW a WHOLE projector hosing out of a 2003 M3, so I have the movable electronic Flap to another switch... and I can bling the Sun when I activate it!!!.
I am also going to install 9005 Super High intensity off road bulbs on the High beam side. conversion from H1 to 9005. I know... wierd but I like to see where I am going a 140mph!!
I have been thinking on moving the high beam H1 to the EXTRA hole the high beam ZKW's have, so when I activate the HID flaps, they come on too... now That's a LOT of light!!! and it all looks stock.
just make sure you use a RELAY and GOOD thick wire. (with LOTS of hairs in it) and a good ground.
I am going to be doing the work this sunday, so if I am done I will post the pictures on my server and you can all pick.

maurolin
01-06-2005, 05:07 AM
button off an e36
http://baybimmers.dtdns.net/Project%20332Ti1/fog%20light%20button.jpg