PDA

View Full Version : Zf320 problem - no 1st or 2nd gears... Wtf?

Artem
05-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to get this cleared up. I had my friends at the shop swap out the transmission detents out on the zf tranny I got, which has 50k miles or so.

After all was said and done, the transmission feels weird (although I never moved the tranny around before that), the shifter works ok for going into 3rd, 4th, 5th gears, but I do not think that 1st/2nd gate is even available, even if it is, I have to really hunt for it, and easiest way to find second is to go into reverse then slowly force it down as you're moving away from reverse, then you get 2nd, 1st is opposite that, there seems to be no way to find it otherwise.... There is no way to find it and when you want to go into reverse there seems to be a LOT more resistance from it than should be...

Clutch engagement is ok, seems to be working great, just the pedal is a bit stiff, really stiff, as if I was driving a 911 or something.

Anyone ever had this issue? Or thinks they can solve this? I'm trying to narrow down the exact problem here.

Thanks y'all!

wake74
05-12-2014, 01:09 AM
Do you know if your friend had (and used) the proper detent tools designed for this? I can say that I did it without the tools and ended up redoing it with the tools as the pins were stuck. While I have heard it is possible to do without the tools, I would be worried about the quality of the job if they tried to do without the very specific tools required.

Artem
05-12-2014, 03:36 AM
I did give them a set of tools for the job from the bimmerdiffs website, although it may be possible to install them incorrectly I suppose...