PDA

View Full Version : Putting an S14 engine in a Compact??

Mattb
12-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Has anyone ever put an E30 M3 S14 engine into their 318ti or other Compact model? Been offered a very cheap 316 (in white with millions of miles) which i'd like to use on track. Any thoughts or ideas?

GDB
12-20-2004, 09:49 PM
It would be cheaper to swap in an E36 M3 engine.

Mattb
12-20-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm trying to keep it lighter and bit more nimble than it would be loaded up with the 6 cylinder in the front.

sikbrik
12-20-2004, 09:51 PM
I don't know from experience but I don't think the engines mount at the same angle. I'm guessing you'd need to mod the oil pan and fab some mounts. Why not just carb the 1.6 that's in it or put in a 1.8 with carbs. Lose the restrictive intake, heavy wiring and computers, and rev it 'til it explodes. Then try the S14! I know the reverse swap is difficult (an M42/44 into my '76 2002...I'm thinking about trying it next summer.)

Have fun, good luck, post pics!

ill phil
12-22-2004, 05:24 PM
I'm trying to keep it lighter and bit more nimble than it would be loaded up with the 6 cylinder in the front.

I believe some of the S50 swapped E30 guys said that they dropped the AC and gained no weight with the swap.

AutoM3otives
01-08-2005, 02:13 AM
By doing an S14 swap, be prepared to maintain it properly and meticulously. www.S14.net is the website I go to for anything and everything about the S14 powerplant.

For track use, it would be an awesome engine, but as most E30 M3 purists would say, that engine is best suited for its original chassis.

If you're thinking about using a swapped engine for everyday use, you might want to go with a 6-cylinder S-series M engine since most people's complaint about the S14's engine is lack of torque.

Good luck.

- Ryan

Mattb
01-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Don't worry it woudl be road legal, but only used for a bit of fun and driving to tracks. I have a '96 328i Sport for every day :)

saxman0321
01-08-2005, 06:03 PM
I have seen it done in a car that was for sale on ebay.de. Since it was for sale, the guy didn't go into how it was accomplished, but there was a pic of the S14 in the car. I'm just stating it can be done. I'm rather useless as far as the technical specifics of the swap.

AutoM3otives
01-08-2005, 08:08 PM
come to think about it.. I remember seeing an extremely raced out compact that had the s14 swapped into it, as well as a carbon fiber intake that I'm tightening my belt for right now to save up for!

Hope this isnt a repost- heres the link:
http://www.allsportauto.com/english/bmw_318_compact_delage_sport_2003.php

ill phil
01-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Well I'm sure it can be done, in the early 90's when the BMW was racing the first E36 chassis cars they were using sedans with the s14 motor that had been from their M3 evo's.

KIRASIR
01-10-2005, 01:58 AM
It's been done before but it is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. The oil pan won't fit the e36 subframe so a dry sump has to be used. If I remember correctly the sump kit alone is over 3000USD.

SL

Well I'm sure it can be done, in the early 90's when the BMW was racing the first E36 chassis cars they were using sedans with the s14 motor that had been from their M3 evo's.

FAT C
01-28-2005, 12:13 AM
I believe some of the S50 swapped E30 guys said that they dropped the AC and gained no weight with the swap.
Yes that is true, you can get the S50 down to only about 20 more pounds than the M20 in E30s. But, the big but, it's about the weight in front of the front axels that throws off the balance of the car. Although I think that an S50 would be a very nice and simple swap, the 4 cylinder will keep it nice and balanced.
Yes it is very feasible to drop an S14 in, but like everybody has been saying, you pay extra $ for a hand built motor, but if it is for track use, I say it is a wise choice over the six bangers. :)

GDB
01-28-2005, 01:28 AM
Yes that is true, you can get the S50 down to only about 20 more pounds than the M20 in E30s. But, the big but, it's about the weight in front of the front axels that throws off the balance of the car. Although I think that an S50 would be a very nice and simple swap, the 4 cylinder will keep it nice and balanced.
Yes it is very feasible to drop an S14 in, but like everybody has been saying, you pay extra $ for a hand built motor, but if it is for track use, I say it is a wise choice over the six bangers. :)

I dont' think ti would be a wise choice. As stated earlier for similar costs you could get the aluminum block 2.8 from a Z3 and weigh in at a whopping 45 extra pounds. It will also be more reliable, cheaper to modify and the extra displacement is just the icing on the cake.

Mattb
11-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Thread resurrection! I never did buy the Compact. I've still got the 328 Sport but I've had a LOT of problems over the years. Nikasil, ABS pump failure (allegedly!), and replacing every other mechanical part. I'd have a sweet track car now if it hadn't been hiding a rusty secret. It's now falling apart so I'll run it on the road for another 12 months before chucking the good bits (that fit!) into a 318Ti.

Not quite the S14 I had thought of nearly 6 years ago but the light alloy M52 with M50 manifold, Fidanza flywheel and all the other usual mods should make it go well. Ideally with an e30 M3 LSD given my e36 M3 diff won't fit! I'm intending to have a roll cage, seat, dash and very little else. Minimal wiring etc too. GRP panels and plastic windows too. Should be a good laugh until the engine breaks. Then it's S50/54 time!