PDA

View Full Version : New fan

bayleys
12-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Hi everyone... thought it was about time I introduced myself. I bought my ti about 6 weeks ago and I'm still smiling. I've made a couple of posts and intend to pop in from time to time to see what's happening.

The info you are all providing here is great and certainly useful to me as I don't have an owner's manual.

I found my ti on the internet here in New Zealand - once I realised it was in my price range I did a search for that particular model... lo and behold there was one for sale just a few blocks from where I live. Brought in to NZ (from Japan) by the guy who was selling it - he is a bit of a car nut and so it is really tidy.

I paid $18,500NZ which is about $13,000US. Compared with the others in NZ it was a good price. 1999 model sport with M3 kit, auto and just a really nice ride! I'm not into pimping it up or anything but just like it the way it is.

Thanks to another post I found PictureTrail so I've posted a few pics...

http://www.picturetrail.com/bayleys

aceyx
12-28-2004, 08:22 PM
congrats on the purchase mate, it's cool to know we've "gone global" with this.

and yes, that engine bay is quite possibly the cleanest one i've seen. on the US models, our brake res and battery switch positions, and the battery tray is plastic. that's kind of a cool way of doing it with the bag thing (is it stock?) i'm also jealous that your tags (license plates) aren't hideous like the ones we have in the states.

do you know anything about the antenna system that is on that car? it's interesting with the co-phase setup.

how rare are those cars down there?

bayleys
12-28-2004, 09:32 PM
The aerials were taken off when I replaced the system. It is a 'Pioneer Carrozzeria AVIC-D9500 DVD car computer'. It is apparently a really good system but just operates outside the frequency spectrum used here in New Zealand. This is a fairly typical thing with imports to NZ - I replaced the FM radio in my last one as it only went up to 89.9FM and thats about where we start and go up to 100FM for normal broadcast radio.

The aerials are like dual bunny-ears from a television set. They lift up, extend and spread in order to get good TV reception. The screen you can see on the dash is a 7" LCD. There was also a GPS receiver mounted on the dash and with the right mapping CD, I gather you could use it as a nav system.

With my new CD tuner I didn't need the aerials because the built-in aerial system works fine.

As far as popularity goes - yes there are a few around town. New Plymouth has a population of about 47,000 and I've seen about 8. Yes... I do wave out but would love to leave some stickers under their wiper blades to tell them about the site.

The battery is anchored into position and is a BMW battery and then it has the cover over it. I assume it is a stock item.

Anyway... thanks for your feedback