PDA

View Full Version : Aux Fan

blatant
09-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Update for anyone searching on how to wire a 6 cylinder aux fan after a swap.

So if you review the ETM (97 318ti + 97 e36 m3)for the m44 it shows the two step temperature switch low speed goes through the DME via x20 pins 3 + 8 (late model TI) and then it triggers the low speed relay.
On the 6 cylinder e36 cars the temperature switch does not go through the DME but directly to the low speed relay.

When I did a test and bridged the two pins on the body harness side and jumped the low side on the temp switch, the fan turns on. So in conclusion, I will be tieing pins 3 + 8 on the body side together to bypass the x20 and directly trigger the low speed relay.

The high speed relay is wired the same way on both m44 + 6 cylinder cars, so that was already operational.

Last night me and my roommate (already went through his e30 swap) went through it and came up with that.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
Finishing up my s52 318 ti swap and have installed the 6 cylinder pusher aux fan. I have purchased Jim's manual and have searched the forum for tips or a DIY on how to wire the aux fan appropriately to run with the rad temp sensor + a/c on but have come up short.

Could someone point me in the right direction with a link or description on how to use the 6 cylinder aux fan ?

I would appreciate the help

wake74
09-04-2014, 10:40 PM
At least on my 95ti, I just wired it directly back to the stock ti fan wiring including the relays and temp sensor. I used a mechanical fan too, belt and suspenders I guess.

blatant
09-05-2014, 03:54 PM
I plan on running the mechanical fan for now. I plugged in the 6 cylinder fan to my 97 TI body harness and it will not work. I remember reading in the manual + several places online that additional wiring is required to make it operate like stock.

I was wondering if anyone knew what was required?

blatant
09-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Just reading through the etms for both cars. I see on the ti, it is #3 in the x20. Have to do some more research

blatant
09-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Anyone else have some more info? I have not touched the body harness. Just plugged in the aux fan that came with the e36 m3 parts car to the aux fan body harness with no luck.

blatant
10-07-2014, 12:03 PM
I guess the question is: Those that run the e36 coupe/sedan aux fan (pusher) on their TI, was it a direct plug and play?

If so, I may have to check what is up with my wiring.

wake74
10-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Can't speak for everyone, but it was direct plug and play on my 95. I didn't change any wiring.

blatant
10-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Weird, I know the stock fan worked with the m44. Not sure what changed since then.

blatant
10-08-2014, 11:35 AM
So if you review the ETM for the m44 it shows the two step temperature switch low speed goes through the DME via x20 pins 3 + 8 and then it triggers the low speed relay.
On the 6 cylinder e36 cars the temperature switch does not go through the DME but directly to the low speed relay.

When I did a test and bridged the two pins on the body harness side and jumped the low side on the temp switch, the fan turns on. So in conclusion, I will be tieing pins 3 + 8 on the body side together to bypass the x20 and directly trigger the low speed relay.

The high speed relay is wired the same way on both m44 + 6 cylinder cars, so that was already operational.

Last night me and my roommate (already went through his e30 swap) went through it and came up with that.