PDA

View Full Version : does any one regret lowering their car?

hotdog19d
12-29-2004, 09:42 PM
I just wanted to know if anyone has had any regrets? I only have sport springs and their great, but it sucks rubbing on stuff and I only have sports. I can't even imagine race springs. This something that never gets bought up...the negative aspects of modding. Any thoughts??

2ndBimmer
12-29-2004, 11:49 PM
I have no regrets yet, just gotta be VERY careful with speedbumps and those headstones at the end of parking spaces (my bumper clears em by under a cm).

I have no rubbing in my car.

JedzE36/5
12-30-2004, 02:42 AM
i dont really have any regrets, but i do get annoyed by having to weave back and forth on those not so perfect roads. i have a love/hate of the rear negative camber. i like it when i autoX, but it sure does eat those dang tires up.

did you ever roll your fenders hotdog? also to help correct the rear camber (i think we talked about this before), i put in 15mm rear lower spring pads.

DustenT
12-30-2004, 02:51 PM
I love the way my car handles since I lowered it. Some advice: Don't replace the springs if you aren't going to replace the shocks/struts as well.

96cali
12-30-2004, 06:54 PM
The sport springs do lower a base suspension by .5-.75". Just right in my world. I saw a ti with Eibachs+Bilsteins and could barely squeeze a finger between the tire and fender. Not sure how they actually got around (or how wide her tires were either).

Anyone know of a spring that is between the OEM sport and the 1.5" drop of HRs and Eibach?

hotdog19d
12-30-2004, 09:10 PM
i dont really have any regrets, but i do get annoyed by having to weave back and forth on those not so perfect roads. i have a love/hate of the rear negative camber. i like it when i autoX, but it sure does eat those dang tires up.

did you ever roll your fenders hotdog? also to help correct the rear camber (i think we talked about this before), i put in 15mm rear lower spring pads.

Sort of, I used a die grinder on the side that was rubbing. Kind of ghetto but it worked.

JedzE36/5
12-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Sort of, I used a die grinder on the side that was rubbing. Kind of ghetto but it worked.

whatever works man.

John W
01-02-2005, 09:05 PM
I recently bought my ti with Bilstein Sports/H&R Sport springs. Overall, it handles nicely and looks great, but I am finding there are too many compromises for me with this setup.

What I don't like: Bottoming out over speed bumps (front frame rail slams down on the bump unless taken at an angle); excessive toe-in at the rear; probably too much negative camber all around. As a result of the camber and rear toe settings, the tires are all unevenly worn e.g. they're worn completely down on the inner-most edge, while the rest of the tire is not even near the wear marker.

Also, on low speed corners, the front of the car feels underdampened. I think this is due to the springs (which I'm guessing are progressive rate--allowing the car to bounce around too much) rather than the front struts.

I'm still trying to figure out what changes I want to make. It looks like I will try the factory sport spring next. Ideally, I would also probably go with Konis if I didn't already have the Bilsteins.

I'd love to hear any suggestions about a relatively inexpensive set-up for mostly street use that sees some autocross/track school events once or twice a month. Ride height/look is not particularly important to me.

JedzE36/5
01-02-2005, 09:09 PM
well i know that the H&R springs are linear. but i have linear springs as well and i experience that same underdampened feeling at low speed corners. ive been thinking about how to fix this too but i cant come to anything.

hotdog19d
04-18-2005, 08:51 PM
I got some 15mm pads to install, we'll see if it helps at all.

Mendi3
04-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Not at all, the handling and the look of the car is great! I have bilsteins and Bavarian Motorsports springs. The springs are just perfect. I'm running 17''s and they fill the gap between the fender and the tire nicely.

I do have the same problem as everyone else. I have to watch out for speed bumps and headstones at parking lots. Mine clears the headstones by literally millimeters....

But, it's totatlly worth it!

L84THSKY
04-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Finally, a dissenting opinion :rolleyes:

I think everyone who answers this thread should do so under a polygraph!
Seems no one wants to say it was a bad idea. Hey, I'm still out on my decision, but I know from previous experience, it ain't all good :no:

I recently bought my ti with Bilstein Sports/H&R Sport springs. Overall, it handles nicely and looks great, but I am finding there are too many compromises for me with this setup.

What I don't like: Bottoming out over speed bumps (front frame rail slams down on the bump unless taken at an angle); excessive toe-in at the rear; probably too much negative camber all around. As a result of the camber and rear toe settings, the tires are all unevenly worn e.g. they're worn completely down on the inner-most edge, while the rest of the tire is not even near the wear marker.

Also, on low speed corners, the front of the car feels underdampened. I think this is due to the springs (which I'm guessing are progressive rate--allowing the car to bounce around too much) rather than the front struts.

I'm still trying to figure out what changes I want to make. It looks like I will try the factory sport spring next. Ideally, I would also probably go with Konis if I didn't already have the Bilsteins.

I'd love to hear any suggestions about a relatively inexpensive set-up for mostly street use that sees some autocross/track school events once or twice a month. Ride height/look is not particularly important to me.

marcus2116
04-18-2005, 11:38 PM
L84thsky just becuase your to scared or lame to lower you car doesnt mean that you have to bring everyone else down.

dodj
04-19-2005, 12:02 AM
a question from a noob.

I like how my car sits at the rear, but i would like the front to be slightly lower. my suspension is all stock on a sports model (not sure if it differes from other packages, can someone tell me that too?)

i have biltein shocks at the back, not sure what type. I also feel like when i corner that there is more weight on the back wheels, is this normal? it kinda feels like there should be a bit more weight at the front?

cali-ti
04-19-2005, 12:51 AM
YES! the roads here (WI) suck so bad, i wish i hadn't lowered it. didn't figure the bav auto springs would lower it as much as it did. if i had it to do over again, i'd do a coilover setup where the minimum drop wasn't that significant, rather than the bav auto springs and bilstein sports. adjustable perches with adjustable shocks and struts i think would be the best setup. i can always change to it later :) and L8's comments don't make him "lame" or "scared" ... maybe he lives in an area where the roads blow and he drives his car year 'round like many others on this forum. we don't need to resort to those kind of comments. we have a diverse group of people here, all sorts of places, resources at hand, etc ... and any statement is just a statement of opinion. people who live in temperate climates whose roads are in good condition without potholes that have the potential to swallow someones car shouldn't just label others "lame" because they don't think lowering their car is a good idea. can't we all just get along? :p

i think you really need to evaluate your roads and environment and what you'll be using your car for to determine if lowering is a good idea. enjoy your car and take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt ... just like we'll take yours.

aceyx
04-19-2005, 12:52 AM
dodj; brake hard or downshift coming into a turn. it'll bring the weight forward.

if we're talking highway speeds, just let off the accelerator a tad, and put power back in after the apex.

vwt3
04-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Sometimes I have problems with scooping up road kill on the way to work at 4 am,have sleepy eye at that time in morning, :evil_lau: :rolleyes:. Can be a pain in the A## at times but the slot car feel and go's where ya point it is worth it.

vwt3

Mendi3
04-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Cali-ti, you are so right. It all depends where you drive. I am in northern california and our roads are pretty decent. Besides the little anoying things to watch for (headstones and speed bumps), I love the way my car handles and the way it looks.

If I have to start all over, I will do it again.

H3_2.1-ti
04-19-2005, 03:33 AM
Guys,

I don't think anyone has it worse than I do living in Montreal. I have travelled a lot and have never experienced the quality of roads that we have here anywhere else except maybe around the "Big Dig" in Boston (but that's understandable). My set up consists of Eibachs and Bilsteins rated and valved specifically for Hartge and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Cheers,

hotdog19d
04-19-2005, 04:09 AM
L84thsky just becuase your to scared or lame to lower you car doesnt mean that you have to bring everyone else down.

Marcus - I think you need to bring it down a notch. L84thsky wasn't trying to bring anyone down. He was just glad someone admitted that they regretted lowering there car. (which was what I was hoping someone would do when I started this thread)

marcus2116
04-19-2005, 04:42 AM
lol

hotdog19d
04-19-2005, 04:46 AM
thats better :)

city
04-19-2005, 11:52 AM
thats better :)

My Ti is dropped and sitting on 19"s, the roads out here arnt that great either as well as everywhere else. Like posted before, you can hardly fit your figure between the tire and wheel well. I honestly love it. I dont care if I need to be careful driving, its worth it. I look forward to driving my baby every chance I get and making sure she doesnt get hurt is just one of the responsiblities that I love just like washing it.

L84THSKY
04-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Eric power to the rescue :2gun:

The point of the thread was to get a MIXED bag of replies. This is supposed to be a Democracy, where all opinions count.

If I could lower my car, with no downsides, I would! But I am wise enough to remember the 6 tires I lost in Brooklyn, Queens and worst of all Staten Island, while driving my Scirocco.

I actually blew a brand new tire in Staten Island once, then blew the donut in Queens, all on the same ride home. Left my car stranded in Queens for two days, not a happy camper!!!!!!

The roads in Long Island and NYC can be terrible. In fact, just before I get on the Long Island Expressway heading home from work, there are two HUGE potholes that need serious repair. I mean these are over a foot in diameter and a foot deep. You wanna drive into that????????

Age provides wisdom, maybe "MARCUS2116" will inherit some in time, maybe not! :no:

YES! the roads here (WI) suck so bad, i wish i hadn't lowered it. didn't figure the bav auto springs would lower it as much as it did. if i had it to do over again, i'd do a coilover setup where the minimum drop wasn't that significant, rather than the bav auto springs and bilstein sports. adjustable perches with adjustable shocks and struts i think would be the best setup. i can always change to it later :) and L8's comments don't make him "lame" or "scared" ... maybe he lives in an area where the roads blow and he drives his car year 'round like many others on this forum. we don't need to resort to those kind of comments. we have a diverse group of people here, all sorts of places, resources at hand, etc ... and any statement is just a statement of opinion. people who live in temperate climates whose roads are in good condition without potholes that have the potential to swallow someones car shouldn't just label others "lame" because they don't think lowering their car is a good idea. can't we all just get along? :p

i think you really need to evaluate your roads and environment and what you'll be using your car for to determine if lowering is a good idea. enjoy your car and take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt ... just like we'll take yours.

marcus2116
04-20-2005, 04:31 AM
your a story teller

cali-ti
04-20-2005, 05:08 AM
lol ... you're in cali man, i wish i was too. you should see some of the crap we drive on that they call roads. my original ball joints had been replaced and then in a few months, at least one of them needed to be replaced again. potholes are the reason. consider we pay the lowest bidder to build/repair our roads and it's no surprise they end up the way they do. they routinely put a few inches of blacktop over (maybe) ground down cement and then wonder why they have huge potholes where the blacktop blew out and there's a bare spot down to the cement layer. water gets in the cracks, freezes in the winter, producing pretty large bumps (like a speed bump except not as bad ... but you hit them at 60mph and bottom out on the bump stops) which they later (if you're lucky) come around and GRIND DOWN (that's the FIX) until it's mostly flat again. this doesn't really solve the problem that started the whole thing (cracks, water penetration and then freezing), but hey, it's the DOT and they don't give a ****.

add in other factors such as no longer being able to change oil without raising the car or at least starting to drive up on ramps ... oh, and ramps! i had to add extensions to the extensions to even be able to get my car up on the ramps again, lol. the lower air effects would push the ramps before the tires would get on them :) hitting clumps of snow/ice that one wouldn't have before ... hope you have that x-brace on, you'll need it to protect your oil pan and the rest of the underside of your car. if you only drive in nice weather or parts of the country where it's temperate, you won't encounter things like this. even here, a suspension with adjustable height (or drop, however you want to look at it), would be really handy, allowing you to drop it more in the summer and much less in the winter. i remember now why i wanted to get out of this state (and the midwest as a whole actually) :p

i've also had the underside of my ti (plastic air duct and "pork chops") ripped off by a racoon! damn varmits! that was even before lowering ...

i know you're just itchin' to move here now, right marcus? lol

i'm not baggin' on ya, just saying ... be damn glad you are where you are :) i wish i was there too :p but at least they salt the roads here so our cars can rust a lot faster than yours. bonus!

marcus2116
04-20-2005, 07:29 AM
that is a bust! what you guys need to do is sell your hatches go and buy 4x4s

aceyx
04-20-2005, 12:17 PM
i've decided to stick with the stock suspension (not even sport) much for the same reasons others haven't lowered their cars. lived in the northeast for undergrad (boston seems to be doing hundreds of mini-expeditions to china), did quite a number of ski trips, and won't let anybody change the oil other than myself.

i also have to drive gravel roads to get to my parents house in pa, but there's no need for a 4x4; i just pretend i'm colin mcrae for a few miles.

cali-ti
04-20-2005, 12:20 PM
UNIMOG!! one of the "real" 4x4s :evil_lau:

http://www.unimog.net/

aceyx
04-20-2005, 12:25 PM
have you ever seen the dakar rally? they get air in those things!

bluebastion
04-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Wow I just read this thread for the first time. L8 I thought you were gonna have a huge U.S. Flag drop behind you for your background on that last message.

Chill out dudes... (in the words of Michaelangelo... the Ninja Turtle)
Coffee anyone? :caffine:

BTW: Jacksonville (FL) roads are the best.... the worst roads in my experience are Alabama (I-20), Louisianna (I-20), and SC in general.

cali-ti
04-20-2005, 12:56 PM
YES, i need my morning java, thanks for the reminder :)

you should check out the "bump steer" thread ... i think it's getting tense in there ;)

L84THSKY
04-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I don't drink coffee, but I might have a spot of tea :)

I used to have a flag attached to my antenna on the Scirocco. Someone stole it many years ago. Long before 9/11, when everyone started putting patriotic symbols on their vehicles.

What can I say, I'm ahead of my time.

Wow I just read this thread for the first time. L8 I thought you were gonna have a huge U.S. Flag drop behind you for your background on that last message.

Chill out dudes... (in the words of Michaelangelo... the Ninja Turtle)
Coffee anyone? :caffine:

BTW: Jacksonville (FL) roads are the best.... the worst roads in my experience are Alabama (I-20), Louisianna (I-20), and SC in general.

L84THSKY
04-21-2005, 03:04 AM
It's you're....not your. :no:

If and when you grow up, you might have some stories too :_punch:

your a story teller

cali-ti
04-21-2005, 03:54 AM
uh-oh, the spelling police have shown up! :p does that mean i can't say "shizat," "po-po." "fo shizzle" or "spechul" any more? and don't be so hard on marcus. we were all young once. mutual respect here ... that's why we have a nice community (even when we disagree). group hug now everybody! lol

bobvilas
04-30-2009, 07:23 PM
When I lived at home my dad restored old cars and he always told me how everything had to be "original" condition. Screw that! I've lowered (or lifted) every car (or truck) since I left home. No regrets. It WILL ride stiffer (nice word for rough) on poor roads but oh on the nice smooth stretches..... And who doesn't enjoy looking at their car? My guess is that if you're thinking about lowering then you like the way they look. Go for it! Nothing is permanent. You can always go back. You won't know for sure until you try.

Mallard
04-30-2009, 07:31 PM
regrets... NEVAHHH !!!!!

budget76
04-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Hello ancient thread:eek:

lkwd318ti
04-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Hello ancient thread:eek:

haha I was about to post "HOLY THREAD FROM THE DEAD!!!!"
This thread was made about the same time I signed up on this forum!!!!

To stay on track with the thread, no I don't regret lowering my car. A few scrapes from deep dips and tall speedbumps but I'm usually careful enough to avoid them.

tiFreak
04-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I regret not lowering my car :rolleyes: wheel gap ftl, once I do lower it, even if I tear off my front bumper I won't regret it :cool:

Grimesy89
05-20-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm thinking of lowering my car, a 98' sport model. Cant really afford shocks and springs at the moment, was wondering if anyone knows what handling would be like with new lowering springs but with the "standard" mtec shocks?

tiFreak
05-20-2009, 09:37 PM
it wouldn't be bad but the shocks will fail prematurely, but if you don't mind doing the job twice there's nothing wrong with putting the shocks on later

Grimesy89
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok cheers for that.. Will have to have a think..:rolleyes:

marko
05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
no regrets man... except that I got BavAuto linear springs (which I'm remedying soon).

its all about the stance! LOL if it dont sit right, not worth driving... IMO :biggrin:

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any regrets? I only have sport springs and their great, but it sucks rubbing on stuff and I only have sports. I can't even imagine race springs. This something that never gets bought up...the negative aspects of modding. Any thoughts??

Xenocide
05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm thinking of lowering my car, a 98' sport model. Cant really afford shocks and springs at the moment, was wondering if anyone knows what handling would be like with new lowering springs but with the "standard" mtec shocks?

You will be underdamped, just save all the money and do it at the same time. I did what you are thinking on my Mustang, replacing the shocks only takes a few hours the second time you do it, but its just not worth it.

Grimesy89
05-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Lookin for some 60mm drop springs, i would take 60fr and 40r if it came to it. Any idea where i would find these? Most i can find is around 25-35mm drop. Heard that Apex X low are good but cant find for the compact?? Thanks for previous replys. :)

patriot
06-02-2009, 11:16 PM
H&R Race on 180k+ miles shocks.
Time for those Bilsteins!

...or maybe Konis?
What should I get?