PDA

View Full Version : Peaked

2002too
10-11-2014, 04:01 PM
I have owned bimmers for 25 years, but my wife's new '96 is the first 318ti we have had. This one came with low miles (85k). Yesterday the check engine light came on so I checked the codes with my Peake R5. It returned multiple codes, most of which aren't in the manual for this car! The codes were 94, 16 (NOT 1b), 17, 11 and 00. 94 is probably for the alarm, which she just reprogrammed to NOT make a noise when she unlocks (locks?) remotely. I wonder if these odd numbers relate to that? The engine sometimes runs a little rough when warm, so there may be more to it. At 85k it could be due for a new lamba sensor (I think there is only one in this year), and the numbers may be suggesting that. Anybody know what these numbers truly mean? I cleared the errors to see if they will come back. Thanks!

1996 328ti
10-11-2014, 04:29 PM
I don't recall my car making any sound when unlocking remotely.

OBD -II has 2 O2 sensors.

Which scanner are you using? There are 2 versions?
One tells you which chart to use and another where you need to look up the chart yourself.

2002too
10-11-2014, 06:51 PM
The sound is a optional thing. Think that annoying chirp the car next to you in the parking lot makes as the owner walks up to it and unlocks it remotely. Bimmers can do that, too. My e46 chirps. I turned it off in our old Caravan.

Anyway, I think there are actually 3 versions of the R5. Mine is definitely the earliest (fcx?). Yes, there is a lookup table pointing to various charts. Mine points me to chart 4.

ETK suggests there is a pre-cat but no post-cat. They illustrate one, but don't list a part number. Is there one someplace else? (Haven't crawled under the car looking, as wife has car today.)

I appreciate your input.