PDA

View Full Version : Glove box lift replacement w/lock

pilsberry
04-04-2015, 01:45 AM
I couldn't find much on this topic, so I thought I'd pass along some tips regarding fixing a broken lift(handle).

Mine had a broken hinge on one side. It worked, but tilted.

The earlier models did not have the lock option. That part is only $9 or so. This one is an easy replacement.

However, the lock piece must be removed to install into the new lift 51 16-8-218-167. The dealer list is just over $30!

The lock is held in the barrell by molded clips that seat in a circular groove in the end of the lock. This is all straightforward by looking at the parts. The tricky part is getting all four tabs to release the lock. I had to use small screwdrivers wedged in each tab and eventually worked it out of the barrell.

Fortunately, I resisted the temptation to break the tabs away. As I pushed the lock out of the barrell, the tumblers and springs started to fall out. I caught it just in time before pieces were lost/mixed up.

I think the key should have been inserted while removing the lock set.

That is the only way to keep the tumblers flush with the cylinder allowing insertion.

Hope this helps someone avert disaster.

Cheers,
Bryan

austinindian
02-13-2016, 07:55 PM
I'm guessing the non lockable flap will not work with a 98? I bought the non lock one and it does not seem to fit.