PDA

View Full Version : M-Tec Suspension Upgrade

L84THSKY
01-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Does this price sound correct, what parts am I getting for the money?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&prod=19980700&btnr=33_1040&hg=33&fg=95

96cali
01-11-2005, 05:33 PM
You should be getting springs, sways, shocks/struts. Not sure about swaybar links. That's it by my understanding.

L84THSKY
01-11-2005, 05:38 PM
That sounds like a very good deal. A new set of sport springs and struts are over $700.00. That doesn't include sway bars.

Would these parts be better than let's say a set of BAV Auto springs and Bilstein sport shocks?

Eric

You should be getting springs, sways, shocks/struts. Not sure about swaybar links. That's it by my understanding.

John W
01-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Is this for the rear suspension only--or front and rear?

I'm interested in trying the M-Tech suspension as well. Ti's thus equipped got very good reviews when road tested by Car&Driver and R&T. I think the M-Tech sways and springs along with some Koni shocks and struts and sticky tires would make a real nice setup. I have Bilsteins sports now and they're OK, but I'd like to be able to stiffen the front a bit more--which is why I'd rather have the adjustability of the Konis. (FWIW, I also have H&R sport springs.)

bmw///m3///
01-13-2005, 06:02 AM
I seen these susp sets second hand on bimmerforums for around $150.

Id do that because you may not like low ride height it tends to scrap on bumbs.

L84THSKY
01-13-2005, 05:02 PM
The link I provided shows the upgrade on all 4 wheels, checkout the picture.

I seen these susp sets second hand on bimmerforums for around $150.

Id do that because you may not like low ride height it tends to scrap on bumbs.

L84THSKY
01-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Picked up a used set of front and rear sway bars off of a 318ti sport model. I assume I should replace the rubber mounts with the bars. Anything else that should be replaced when doing this swap?

96cali
01-20-2005, 06:12 PM
You didn't get those springs? I saw them up as well.

L84THSKY
01-20-2005, 06:52 PM
That auction didn't close yet.

L84THSKY
01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
I didn't win the springs. Wasn't dying to get them anyway. I'm still not sure exactly what I plan to do suspension wise. I plan on putting on my 17" rims in the spring, along with the sport sway bars. Then I will see how it drives, and also take note of the camber. If the camber is off, then I will buy a camber kit, and spring/struts all as one.

maurolin
01-21-2005, 05:25 PM
WAY too expensive, plus if you have a Ti and you put M3 springs... your rear end will have a HUGE gap, the spring is too hard and the weight of the car is not enough to make it go down and look like on an M3.

I had this problem, and I also converted the whole suspension to M tech.

I will list what you need, and NO BS: Do it ONCE, DO IT COMPLETE, DO IT RIGHT .

Bilstein Sports Front and rear (About $500 +-) (they have LIFETIME WARRANTY and will dampen awesome, will make your Ti feel like a track car and will not blow up if the car is lowered.) You can do adjustable Konis... but for real... they weaken out with time.

Lowering Springs: Do H&R or Eibach. FOR THE 318Ti (you could use lowering springs off an M3 BUT ONLY FOR THE FRONT) or lowering springs off an E30 BUT ONLY FOR THE REAR.

I had Racing dynamics springs off my Cabrio M3... great springs... but the gap in my rear wheels looked STUPID! (and I have 18"s) I will post pics of all this after I finish my list.

M3 Upper strut hats: (they are rather expensive $103 e/a but they are off setted and will balance the car more at high speeds.) THIS IS IMPORTANT. you can find them on junk yards where there are M3's.... but good luck.

M3 front SWAYBAR and LINKS (Or any aftermarket sway) great upgrade. you'll also need the M3 LOOOONG sway bar links. (they bold ot to the swaybar onto your strut) VERY IMPORTANT.

M3 sway bar bushings (the ones that hold it) because the bar is thicker... stocks are too small... those are cheap...

That's it. well... you'll also want to change sooner or later the CONTROL ARM REAR BUSHING to the offset one. but that's not a priority.

you can do all thise at around $1000 WITH ALL NEW PARTS, but don't be affraid to buy used springs or swaybars... or hats. Although I would consider buying new struts and sway links. (they ware out...) but HONESTLY, Bilstein sport is the way to go!. you cannot beat a LIFE TIME WARRANTY! and if you research, compate the SHAFT on the strut to a koni or any other strut... you'll be surprized.... pics in a moment..

L84THSKY
01-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Right now I am only putting in 318ti Sport front and rear sways, not sure about springs and struts yet. What parts should I upgrade that are associated with the sway bars?

WAY too expensive, plus if you have a Ti and you put M3 springs... your rear end will have a HUGE gap, the spring is too hard and the weight of the car is not enough to make it go down and look like on an M3.

I had this problem, and I also converted the whole suspension to M tech.

I will list what you need, and NO BS: Do it ONCE, DO IT COMPLETE, DO IT RIGHT .

Bilstein Sports Front and rear (About $500 +-) (they have LIFETIME WARRANTY and will dampen awesome, will make your Ti feel like a track car and will not blow up if the car is lowered.) You can do adjustable Konis... but for real... they weaken out with time.

Lowering Springs: Do H&R or Eibach. FOR THE 318Ti (you could use lowering springs off an M3 BUT ONLY FOR THE FRONT) or lowering springs off an E30 BUT ONLY FOR THE REAR.

I had Racing dynamics springs off my Cabrio M3... great springs... but the gap in my rear wheels looked STUPID! (and I have 18"s) I will post pics of all this after I finish my list.

M3 Upper strut hats: (they are rather expensive $103 e/a but they are off setted and will balance the car more at high speeds.) THIS IS IMPORTANT. you can find them on junk yards where there are M3's.... but good luck.

M3 front SWAYBAR and LINKS (Or any aftermarket sway) great upgrade. you'll also need the M3 LOOOONG sway bar links. (they bold ot to the swaybar onto your strut) VERY IMPORTANT.

M3 sway bar bushings (the ones that hold it) because the bar is thicker... stocks are too small... those are cheap...

That's it. well... you'll also want to change sooner or later the CONTROL ARM REAR BUSHING to the offset one. but that's not a priority.

you can do all thise at around $1000 WITH ALL NEW PARTS, but don't be affraid to buy used springs or swaybars... or hats. Although I would consider buying new struts and sway links. (they ware out...) but HONESTLY, Bilstein sport is the way to go!. you cannot beat a LIFE TIME WARRANTY! and if you research, compate the SHAFT on the strut to a koni or any other strut... you'll be surprized.... pics in a moment..

maurolin
01-21-2005, 10:23 PM
are you getting M3 swaybars? if so, get the links. a MUST and the sway bar bushings.
do springs, do H&R made for the Ti, do Bilsteins (This will make your car a Different car)
there are some stuff u can bypass, but remember. M tech setups have been engeneered for a looong time... there are some stuff u can skip, but you really shouldn't. but you can do with time...
Start by getting springs and struts. (my advise.)
do swaybars last.

http://baybimmers.dtdns.net/Project%20332Ti1/sway%20links%20and%20strut.jpg

L84THSKY
01-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Your links look very long, I thought they were only 4" max. I bought used M-tech Sport 318ti sways. So I guess I might as well start with new links and bushings when I put the sways in.

I would like to get struts and springs, I'm just not sure yet. I have the sways and the 17" rims to put on. I'd like to see what that feels like first.

[QUOTE=maurolin]are you getting M3 swaybars? if so, get the links. a MUST and the sway bar bushings.
do springs, do H&R made for the Ti, do Bilsteins (This will make your car a Different car)
there are some stuff u can bypass, but remember. M tech setups have been engeneered for a looong time... there are some stuff u can skip, but you really shouldn't. but you can do with time...
Start by getting springs and struts. (my advise.)
do swaybars last.