PDA

View Full Version : Will this Diff work on a Ti? HURRY!!!!

L84THSKY
01-11-2005, 05:32 PM
I found this diff for sale. Owner says, "BMW differential E36 318 from 1992>1998 S3.45 ratio Limited Slip"

Here is the picture:

http://www.geocities.com/triumph1518/345LSD.JPG

This is the REALOEM site's pic of a 318Ti diff:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&prod=19980700&btnr=33_0385&hg=33&fg=05

Looks different than what I expected. The back seems to have two mounting bushings. Could I add an M3 finned cover to the rear, if I bought it?

Thanks
Eric

L84THSKY
01-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Just got off the phone with the seller. He said it won't direct swap with a 318ti. He's not an expert on modifications. The diff came out of a 1995 318 coupe with 82K miles.

KIRASIR
01-11-2005, 08:46 PM
It won't fit at all.

It might be possible to swap the LSD unit itself but it's a major PITA. Swapping the rear cover also won't work.

SL

Just got off the phone with the seller. He said it won't direct swap with a 318ti. He's not an expert on modifications. The diff came out of a 1995 318 coupe with 82K miles.

L84THSKY
01-11-2005, 09:19 PM
I compared the part#'s, the LSD unit is the same. How hard is it to replace just the LSD unit?

Is the diff worth $225.00 with 82K miles. I would consider having someone else put it in if it's a PITA.

It won't fit at all.

It might be possible to swap the LSD unit itself but it's a major PITA. Swapping the rear cover also won't work.

SL

maurolin
01-11-2005, 11:17 PM
it's not an easy job... specially when you don't have a lift.

L84THSKY
01-12-2005, 02:57 AM
I DO have a lift, well my brother does. I can drive the car on it, raise it, and spend all day if I have to. Does that make the job more feasible? I am in no hurry to put it in, I would buy it now, and wait till spring to install it.

it's not an easy job... specially when you don't have a lift.

KIRASIR
01-12-2005, 09:49 AM
For $225 it's not worth it in my opinion. There is always someone selling an LSD diff every 2-3 months either on this board, or the ti list, or ebay. I would just wait for a diff that will fit.

From what I heard, you would need to have some special tools and a press in order to swap the LSD unit itself, which usually means $$$.

SL

I compared the part#'s, the LSD unit is the same. How hard is it to replace just the LSD unit?

Is the diff worth $225.00 with 82K miles. I would consider having someone else put it in if it's a PITA.

L84THSKY
01-12-2005, 03:08 PM
I just called a local AAMCO. They gave me a rough estimate of $800.00 to swap the LSD unit. :?

When you say LSD's come around, how about a 3.45 LSD? I thought those were hard to find?

For $225 it's not worth it in my opinion. There is always someone selling an LSD diff every 2-3 months either on this board, or the ti list, or ebay. I would just wait for a diff that will fit.

From what I heard, you would need to have some special tools and a press in order to swap the LSD unit itself, which usually means $$$.

SL

motorsport
01-12-2005, 04:48 PM
do it yourself, it really isnt that bad. the hardest part is all the brake lines and what not. I have a 318i with the LSD and i have 110k miles and it is still fine. so i dont think 82k miles is that bad.

L84THSKY
01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Brake lines!!!!!!!! What are you talking about?

This is about swapping the innerds of a Differential.

do it yourself, it really isnt that bad. the hardest part is all the brake lines and what not. I have a 318i with the LSD and i have 110k miles and it is still fine. so i dont think 82k miles is that bad.

maurolin
01-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Brake lines?? you won't even TOUCH the brake lines.

I just swapped my Diff for the SECOND time this week... I know the drill like the palm of my hand, and I can give you SPECIFIC instructions on how to do it.
Some write ups on this board are either wrong or VERY incomplete.

no BS: here's what you are going to need for a succesfull swap:

LSD
2 E30 AXELS
2 E30 ABS SENSORS
2 LICKING COLLARS (they go inside the center hum on the outside of the brake rotor)
New LSD dear oil. some oil DOES NOT WORK
Preferrebly a lift , or Tall jack stands.
a STRONG PRY BAR
air tools is better, or you can bust your hands and arms if needed.
a jack to jack up and down the lsd.
I would OPEN the diff's cover, soak it in BRAKE CLEANER (3 - 4 cans) scrub, and clean, and rinse with another 2 cans. (taht's what I did) this way you are forc ed to RE SEAL the diff with a new gasket or silicone.... no leaks later.
Start the project in the morning and be prepared to spend about 5 hours on it.

regarding the way to do it, many people have their ways of working. Me, I clean and scrubb before I put stuff back on... and take NO SHORCUTS.

Tire kingdom will charge you 3 hours of labor to swap the diff. if they charge you more, I can fax you my friend's invoice with the local store number and they HAVE to match the price as they are nationwide priced the SAME.

BUY ALL THE PARTS BEFORE YOU EVEN START! and DO NOT USE 318ti AXELS!!!

L84THSKY
01-13-2005, 05:00 PM
That comment about brake lines threw me too!

OK, so maybe I should just put in an E30 LSD. Like I mentioned previously, I have access to a lift and an impact wrench.

I guess the only things that I'm not certain about are:

1. What models and years do I have to choose from that had the E30 LSD?
2. How many miles should I look for on the used LDS?

Brake lines?? you won't even TOUCH the brake lines.

I just swapped my Diff for the SECOND time this week... I know the drill like the palm of my hand, and I can give you SPECIFIC instructions on how to do it.
Some write ups on this board are either wrong or VERY incomplete.

no BS: here's what you are going to need for a succesfull swap:

LSD
2 E30 AXELS
2 E30 ABS SENSORS
2 LICKING COLLARS (they go inside the center hum on the outside of the brake rotor)
New LSD dear oil. some oil DOES NOT WORK
Preferrebly a lift , or Tall jack stands.
a STRONG PRY BAR
air tools is better, or you can bust your hands and arms if needed.
a jack to jack up and down the lsd.
I would OPEN the diff's cover, soak it in BRAKE CLEANER (3 - 4 cans) scrub, and clean, and rinse with another 2 cans. (taht's what I did) this way you are forc ed to RE SEAL the diff with a new gasket or silicone.... no leaks later.
Start the project in the morning and be prepared to spend about 5 hours on it.

regarding the way to do it, many people have their ways of working. Me, I clean and scrubb before I put stuff back on... and take NO SHORCUTS.

Tire kingdom will charge you 3 hours of labor to swap the diff. if they charge you more, I can fax you my friend's invoice with the local store number and they HAVE to match the price as they are nationwide priced the SAME.

BUY ALL THE PARTS BEFORE YOU EVEN START! and DO NOT USE 318ti AXELS!!!