PDA

View Full Version : NEW DASC Group Buy HEADED UP 1/12/05

williamb
01-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey every one.... I so wanted to get in on the DASC group buy that ZeroG (Chad) did, but I didn't have the fundage at the time and I was thinking about selling my '98Ti at the time...but things change and I wanna DO IT!!! WHOSE WITH ME???

Anyway I have send ZeroG a couple of messages through different means and I am hoping to get all his contact info and experiences so we can have an easy time. My goal was the same as his... 5-10 people shooting for $2500-2700 for each unit. Obviously the more the better the discount...usually. So post here or contact me personally at wburdine@cox.net.

Thanks everyone
William

gadgetphreak
01-15-2005, 06:35 PM
What time frame are you planning on doing this? I am interested but was planning on a few other mods first (Headlights, Upgrades to brakes)...

Gadget

williamb
01-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Finally a response :caffine:

I would like to get this done by May at the latest, but I am open to suggestions...I need at least 4 other people as serious as I am so I can call Downing Atlanta....I really would like to make this happen!!

Will

John W
01-18-2005, 12:59 AM
I am interested if it can be had in the $2500-2700 range. Please keep me posted.

ZeroG
01-18-2005, 02:17 AM
Finally a response :caffine:

I would like to get this done by May at the latest, but I am open to suggestions...I need at least 4 other people as serious as I am so I can call Downing Atlanta....I really would like to make this happen!!

Will
I would call Downing Atlanta if you are really serrious and set it up with them that way you have a price. Once you get the price tell everyone that you know that there is one going on. I would post on every message board possible (Bimmer Forums, Roadfly, BMW Forums, etc.) Be specific and give the facts. Also include a deadline of when the buy will close.

-Chad

schussey
01-18-2005, 05:43 PM
i am possibly interested, 2500 sounds like a deal. Not sure if I can scrap the cash together yet, let me know if it is going through though.

-chris

williamb
01-18-2005, 07:59 PM
I would call Downing Atlanta if you are really serrious and set it up with them that way you have a price. Once you get the price tell everyone that you know that there is one going on. I would post on every message board possible (Bimmer Forums, Roadfly, BMW Forums, etc.) Be specific and give the facts. Also include a deadline of when the buy will close.

-Chad

Thanks for replying Chad...I had sent you off a few emails, but never hear back from you can you email me with all your experience and contact info from your group sale? Thanks really appreciate it.

Will
wburdine@cox.net

iammemares
01-19-2005, 12:42 AM
please add me to a list of potential customers. depends on price and timing.

Thanks for the leg work on this.

ZeroG
01-19-2005, 06:20 AM
Thanks for replying Chad...I had sent you off a few emails, but never hear back from you can you email me with all your experience and contact info from your group sale? Thanks really appreciate it.

Will
wburdine@cox.net
I thought I repllied to your email, I guess it did not go through. Anyway, I just sent you another one.

-Chad

williamb
01-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Chad

GOT IT thanks very much for your assistance....I have used your suggestions wisely and may I say they were good ones. Wish me....er US luck with this.

Just waiting to hear back from DA.

Will

ZeroG
01-21-2005, 07:01 AM
Chad

GOT IT thanks very much for your assistance....I have used your suggestions wisely and may I say they were good ones. Wish me....er US luck with this.

Just waiting to hear back from DA.

Will
No Problem.... Is wish you all the best of luck....

-Chad

Dredder
01-25-2005, 02:54 PM
I want one as soon as possible. It would be great to save extra $$ for other upgrades. If i can get a discount, i will spend it on performace chip. Anyways, how much does the DASC currently selling for? Keep me updated. Im ready to roll.......

gadgetphreak
01-29-2005, 05:16 AM
Any update on price and quantity required...? Keep us posted.

williamb
02-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Anyone that wanted to get in on this buy needs to have their correct email in their profile...I am doing this in a yahoo group where I can keep all the info from multiple forums...so if you haven't received the invite from the yahoo group please PM me your email and I'll send it there.

Thanks
Will

Dredder
02-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Whats the status on the group buy? I'm all in on this since i recieved my copy of swap manual from Jim. It can be done but there's a lot of work. Engine swap doesnt look like a weekend project. So in the meantime, Im 100% buying the DASC...

mickd
03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
What's the status of the DASC group buy? Last post was almost a month ago.

gooten1
03-02-2005, 08:32 PM
When are you planning on doing the buy? I'd have to scrape the money together, but I wanna S/C.

Dredder
03-03-2005, 08:54 AM
It has been a while. I'd figure people are still scraping for some cash :(

Bzuefishx
03-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Hello all,

If this is still a go, please add my name to the list.

The last quote I received directly from Downing was $3,395, back in Aug '04, so I'm thinking any price lower than $2,500 would be a deal.

I've never run across a used unit - anyone ever seen one for sale?

Thanks...

bluebastion
03-05-2005, 01:19 AM
that's a good thing, isn't it?

Dredder
03-05-2005, 05:52 AM
The last email Jim Goodroe sent me a few days ago, the DASC kit was running for $3,395 plus $55 shipping. I will be calling downing atlanta my self this coming monday 3/7/05, to personally inquire on the specifics of a group buy. I will keep everyone updated. For the members who are interested hope I can get something accomplished. If not then I guess I will be forkin up money for the retail price.

----------------------

Windblown
03-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Any more news on the group buy? I'll put an order in if it's a go!!!

PettitWC
03-14-2005, 07:50 PM
i'd be interested but i can't really afford it now...

Dredder
03-16-2005, 08:03 AM
hold up on that. i got a better offer for you guys

97Hellrot318ti
03-16-2005, 01:30 PM
hold up on that. i got a better offer for you guys

I am definitely interested, and have the cash... keep me posted on this. Also, out of curiosity, the price of the s/c, does it include necessary upgrades to the motor to handle the boost? If so, how much boost can it handle? I'm just thinking like if it doesn't include any other upgrades and it's just an s/c, we wouldn't want to run anymore than 5-7 psi... I'd rather get more out of my money but I guess that's a lot to ask. If it doesn't come with anything more than the s/c, can you bump up the boost to 10-15 if you purchase necessary parts personally? Someone who knows what they're talking about, I would appreciate if you let me know, because I really don't know jack about s/c's, other than that I want one.

EDIT: Ok so I just checked the website for Downing/Atlanta... OMFG... over 200hp? No intercooler necessary? Original question still stands though, no other changes necessary? Like I said, I don't know much about it, but I thought if you were changing engine performance that drastically, you needed all sorts of new stuff... piston rods, etc... stuff of that nature

Also, anyone know if I can run my CAI with it?

gooten1
03-16-2005, 04:27 PM
There are a lot of posts on here, and lots of happy DASC users. If I'm not mistaken, the SC just bolts on and doesn't require too much modification to what's already there. There was someone posting a while back about making a new pulley that would create more boost, so you might want to search for that.

97Hellrot318ti
03-16-2005, 07:24 PM
There are a lot of posts on here, and lots of happy DASC users. If I'm not mistaken, the SC just bolts on and doesn't require too much modification to what's already there. There was someone posting a while back about making a new pulley that would create more boost, so you might want to search for that.

Yea, as I read more into the info on their website I found it very informative... The only hesitation I have about doing serious stuff to my engine is that it's still under warranty... for 3 more years! I feel like I should blow it up, or wait it out. But I really don't want to wait. I want to go home, and ask my silly v-dub friends if they want to go racing. Then I want to beat the pants off of them a couple of times, and ask if something happened to their cars? They used to be faster than mine... something must be wrong. I don't think I'd even tell them I supercharged it... wait for them to figure it out! haha

96cali
03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Pulleys increase boost, someone was also prototyping an intercooler. Search on the Yahoo archive for actual performance numbers. Most people just run the DASC as is though.

gooten1
03-16-2005, 07:50 PM
What's the offer Dredder?

BMWaffectSean
03-16-2005, 08:14 PM
So what's the deal with this?

Dredder
03-17-2005, 07:25 AM
I know you guys have been waiting for the DASC. I can tell you from a friend’s perspective that you will be disappointed with the gain it will give you. At first I wanted what he has. My friend drove a supercharge DASC z3 1.9. The increase power was noticeable, but it was not unbelievable. For all you DASC owner, try racing a stock m3 with a healthy engine, even e36 m's. Most likely you’re not going to hang with them. Bolts on DASC on a stock m44 will probably Dyno around 170whp if you’re lucky. For months now I have been debating out the purchase of DASC. Just like everyone else, I want the best bang for the buck with greater potential. I met a guy name Tom that lives around the area. He has developed a turbocharger kit (stage 1-3) for all m42/m44 engines. This kit will deliver more whp power than DASC or Kormann turbocharger kit for about the same price as DASC. In addition, this kit has better potential the others above. Isn't that what we are all looking for? Why do you think other members here opt for the m3 swap, for more potential? I know I do. Stay tune cause within the next few week, Ill be adding myself to the list of boost junkies. My experience could be your gain. Stay tune fellas update will be in progress.....to be continued.

workaholic
03-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Hey everybody,
Well dredder sent me a link to this thread so i became a member and though I would introduce myself and give a bit more info on the kit, as dredder and I haven't really gotten into the specifics very much yet. Due to the size of the turbo used (t3/t4) and the way the m42/44 motors sit in the E36 chassis you are going to loose your A/C. the main reason for that it because of where the turbo has to sit eliminates the factory pass side motor mount, this is why a new one is being finished right now that bolts up to the spot on the block normally taken up by the A/C. As for this kit working on a m44 engine that I can not guarantee as the only motor this has yet to be installed on is a m42 e36 sedan. One main thing to keep in mind is that this kit has yet to be fully tested the exhaust and charge pipes are planned to be finished by mid next week and then I have a little work left to do on the Acc. and then it hits the dyno. I can replicate anything you see on my motor for anyone that wants it. The main reason why I stated that i cant guarantee it to work m44 is because of three main things. valve train on m42 and m44 motors is very different (m44 utilizing rocker arms and m42 not) and the OBDI and OBDII differences between the two as well as the m42 has forged internals stock and the m44 has cast internals stock. The tuning is via a piggyback system called a SMT6 made by perfect power out of South africa. this unit has full datalogging capability and the ability to hook up to a laptop. you do not have to run a wideband o2 but i would highly recomend it. I am going to be talking to my tuner tommorow and see if I can get chips burned instead of making everyone get the piggyback unit as it is a littly tricky to install. I'm not sure if it was understood but this kit is not finished by any means, I still have the exhaust and charge pipes to sort out as well as any kinks that come up along the way once the car is started for the first time. dont get me wrong though, this kit will have far more potential than the DASC, for about the same price and spool faster (slightly smaller turbo than mine which is the stg3 turbo, stg1-2 should be full boost about 2500 or so but I will double check) not only that but this kit will have alot more room to grow (my motor is spec'd to do 450bhp with stock cams on pump gas, (turbo cams available))

Here is a full description of the car via a mod list

Year: 1994
Model: 318i

Head

-Full port and polish intake and exhaust side
-3 angle valve job with a 45deg back cut on the base of the valves
-45 deg cut on the valve base inside of head
-Port and polish including injector ports
-Custom aftermarket valve springs
-Stock cams
-Full surface of the top and bottom of the head
-Custom built copper headgasket
-Custom built port for water temp sender

Bottom end

-Stock crank
-Stock rods
-Kings silicate lined main bearings
-Kings silicate lined rod bearings
-Wetmagged the rods
-Custom built billet aluminum 8:1 Ross racing pistons
-Full floating chromoly pins with keepers
-1030 steel rings
-Sleeved block to stock bore with .006" clearance for the pistons
-Surfaced the top and bottom of the block
-Custom oil drain plug built into the oil pan to accept a oil drain line from turbo centersection
-Custom built oil feed for center section of the turbo
-Custom built fitting to fit sender for oil pressure guage
-modified oil pump to increase oil pressure to ~110-120psi at WOT

Turbo(t3/t4) Max boost of 25psi

-Cold side .60 compressor
-Hot side .63 compressor
-57trim wheel
-270deg thrust bearing
-oil cooled centersection
-Custom built intercooler (25x8x3.3)
-Custom built motor mount to accomidate Turbo
-Tial 38mm wastegate with 9psi spring (holds up to 28psi)
-Tial 50mm BOV
-High temp silicone 4ply aramid 500deg F silicone couplers
-Stainless steel T-Bolt clamps
-Blue Ceramic coated exhaust housing

Exhuast

-Full 3" piping from Turbo back
-Dynomax 3" "bullet" resonator
-Magnaflow 3" single in single out muffler
-Custom built Exhaust manifold
-Blue ceramic coated Exhaust manifold

Fuel
-Holley 60gal/hr fuel pump
-Holley FPR
-Russel hoses and fittings
-Russel 10 micron fuel filter
-80lb/hr injectors

Cooling

-PWR aluminum 325/m3 radiator
-PermaCool 14" electric fan

Engine managment

-SMT6 with map sensor for added turbo fueler.

Transmission

-95 m3 tranny
-Understeer.com SSK W/weighted selector rod and all new bushings
-Ireland Engineering polyurethane tranny mount bushings
-Spec stg3 clutch
-m3 flywheel
-UUC big boy clutch stop

Suspension

-H&R cup kit
-Complete rear suspension out of a 97 m3
-3.15LSD rear diff out of a 95 m3
-TMS Rear camber control arms
-Powerflex polyurethane rear subframe bushings
-Powerflex polyurethane front control arm bushings (center placement)
-Ground control RTAB shims
-TMS sways with adjustable rear endlinks and 3 point adjustable front
-TMS subframe reinforcements
-TMS swaybar reinforcements
-AA Diff support bracket
-Ireland Engineering Polyeurethane motor mount bushings

Brakes

-SS braided lines
-E46 330 front brakes with Hawk HPS pads
-E36 m3 rear brakes with Hawk HPS pads

Interior

-Zeitronix Wideband o2 sensor with added display for AFR reading
-Autometer Ultralite guages: Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, 30invac/30psiboost guages
-DAD racing seats with custom built brackets
-Sparco racing 3pt harness's
-Greddy Profec B specII boost controller
-Greddy Turbo Timer

I.C.E. (subject to change in the future)

-Pioneer 840mp HU
-MB Quart DSD 213 fronts
-Memphis 500D amp for sub
-Image Dynamics IDMAX 12" sub
-Pioneer 4" rears

Wheels/Tires (staggered 18x8.5/9.5 setup to come when $$$ comes)

-Flik lex 18x8's
-Kuhmo 225/40/18's all around (will be roasted off within 2 weeks of when the car is running most likely due to traction loss)

Body

-A bunch of dings that need to be fixed
-A good size dent in the drivers door from a engine stand
-Lame paint
-Messed up front bumper
-Euro clears front and rear

If anyone has any questions feel free to pm me on here, all though I would prefer emails as they are easier to sort everyone that way. wilson_212@hotmail.com

Also just another point I can do just about any work for a N/A application that someone would want as well.

Thanks
Tom

BMWaffectSean
03-17-2005, 07:14 PM
God damn! VERY IMPRESSIVE!
Kudo's bro.

97Hellrot318ti
03-17-2005, 07:20 PM
For one, I have an m44 engine, and for two, I don't want to lose my AC as my car is a daily driver, not a race car.

Sounds incredibly kick ass though.

Anyway, in light of what I've just said, anyone else in the same boat still looking to go in for the DASC, or is this a dead issue?

williamb
04-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Well it's been a while since I have been on here.....and due to some recent issues with my ti I have abandoned the hope of doing a DASC...mostly due to a dealership here in San Diego (Cunningham). I simply took my car in for some routine maintenace, 4 wheel align, oil change....and left with my window not working and central lock not functioning and a burr in my ass to write the BBB (much longer story). (all of my experience makes me want a VW) I am now debating repairs or newer car.

Anyway if anyone wants to continue with this purchase...I am OUT sorry. If you want the Yahoo group info to organize off the site contact me at wburdine@cox.net and I will give you the admin stuff for the account so all the talk and correspondence can go there. Again I am really sorry about taking off.

drhughes
05-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Will be ready pretty soon, if somebody pulls it together let me know.

drhughes@hotmail.com

mickd
05-09-2005, 02:08 AM

drhughes@hotmail.com
drhughes, you should start a new thread.

mickd
05-09-2005, 02:29 PM

drhughes@hotmail.com
Forgot to mention, I see you have only 1 post, this group buy has already taken place.

quillbro
05-17-2005, 07:54 AM
please keep us posted on the kit.....im interested in doing something to this m44 not sure if DASC or what.

rphilip
05-25-2005, 03:02 PM
If there is still a group buy let me know i would LOVE to get in on this deal just email me. Thanks

mickd
05-25-2005, 03:27 PM
If anyone wants to take the initiative of a new group buy thread, the 1/12/05 group buy is dead.

ZeroG
05-25-2005, 03:36 PM
If there is interest in another group buy this thread maybe used as a resource, but a new thread should be started.

I'm closing this one out.

-Chad