PDA

View Full Version : Exterior rattle from right rear...please help!

Techti
01-13-2005, 10:34 PM
I have a rattle coming from my right rear (as best I can tell) whenever I go over bumps. It sounds metalic...I checked the things I consider obvious but nothing seems loose. Anyone have any advice on what to look for?

rendoll911
01-13-2005, 11:37 PM
try greasing where the back seats lock in.. thats why mine squeaked

Techti
01-14-2005, 12:36 AM
The sound is coming from the outside of the vehicle...with the windows up I can't hear it, so I'm not sure if that's it. It sounds like two metal pieces rattling against each other.

gadgetphreak
01-14-2005, 02:24 AM
Have you had your rear shock mounts reinforced? Some others on the board may be able to comment on what that sounds like when it starts to break apart, but apparently it is fairly common to our cars. Especially if you have Anti-Sway Bars.

Based on learning about that, it is one of the things that I checked to make sure was done when I bought mine.

Techti
01-14-2005, 02:41 AM
I really don't know if they are...I doubt it, unless its something the dealer would do because the previous owner did the work the dealer suggested, not anything beyond. How would I go about checking if they are reinforced or if they are breaking?

James
01-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Try to pull lightly your emergency hand brakes over any bumps, if the noise is gone, you need to adjust the emergency brakes.

Billan
01-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Try to pull lightly your emergency hand brakes over any bumps, if the noise is gone, you need to adjust the emergency brakes.

Just as James said, This noise happens to my car all the time and every time the fix has been adjusting my E-Brake.

Techti
01-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Well, I tried pulling up on the ebrake going over bumps and I think it may be making a difference. It's hard to tell if the bump was big enough to make the rattle sound so I don't know for sure if my pulling up is what's really stopping the sound. But anyway, I think I'm going to check on the ebrake...it takes a lot of clicks to get it to hold the car when parked so I think it may be that.

Can anyone explain to me how to adjust the ebrake?

Also, Billan, your car looks awesome in that pic. :)

gadgetphreak
01-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Try this link:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/brakes/e36_handbrake_adjust.html

I am not sure if the 318ti Hand Brake assembly is the same as other E36's, does anyone know? If it is, then this link should work for you...

Gadget

gadgetphreak
01-15-2005, 07:13 PM
You might also look at this thread: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3058

durnadupa
01-15-2005, 09:36 PM
I have this same problem. Except for me the rattling noise comes from my back drivers side. It rattles even when I go over the tiniest little bump. I can only here it if my windows are open, but when they're closed I can't here it. That's why I assume it is my muffler or exhaust that has become loose from the back of my car. Is that possible?

1996 328ti
01-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Going over a bump is usually the parking brake cable.
Pull on the brake handle slightly when going over the same bump.

James
01-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Take a look at the following link, it's got good...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Ebrake_Adjustment/E36-Ebrake_Adjustment.htm