PDA

View Full Version : Easy to change transmission mounts and giubo?

bazar01
11-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Without dropping the exhaust?

bazar01
11-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Got the transmission mounts replaced. Very easy even without dropping the exhaust. The old rubber was very soft.
Next is the giubo then engine mounts.

bazar01
12-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Got the engine mounts replaced today.
Passenger side is separated while driver side is good.
But I went ahead and replaced both.

bazar01
12-03-2015, 04:49 PM
My 318ti is coming along pretty well with over 2 years of work in progress after taking over from my daughter.
New engine mounts
New giubo
New transmission mounts
New manual transmission fluid
New open diff gear oil
New alternator
AC and heat works
New brake hoses fronts and rears
New front and rear shocks
New front control arms
New tie rod ends
Urethane subframe mounts
Rubber trailing arm bushings
80k miles on coolant hoses and plastic pipes
80k miles on new radiator
New fuel pump
168mm LSD for rebuild and swap later

So far idles very smooth now
No more clunking in the rear
Drivetrain is tight.
I may keep this car for a while and so easy to maintain.

Mathieu
03-23-2016, 12:20 AM
I assume you installed rubber transmission mounts. Did you consider urethane? If so, and went for rubber, what was your reasoning? I just did the rear subframe w/ Powerflex purples and the diff as well. No NVH and curves are a pleasure to roll through.

I'll be doing the driveshaft next week and came across a couple of mentions in my research that the tranny mounts s/b replaced at the same time. I'm strongly looking at urethane for them. The motor mounts are old but passable stocks.

What fluids did you use? 6 months ago I did all fluids with Amsoil though last week I re-did the gearbox with RP Synchromax and it was a large upgrade.

zoner
03-26-2016, 07:20 PM
I assume you installed rubber transmission mounts. Did you consider urethane? If so, and went for rubber, what was your reasoning? I just did the rear subframe w/ Powerflex purples and the diff as well. No NVH and curves are a pleasure to roll through.

I'll be doing the driveshaft next week and came across a couple of mentions in my research that the tranny mounts s/b replaced at the same time. I'm strongly looking at urethane for them. The motor mounts are old but passable stocks.

What fluids did you use? 6 months ago I did all fluids with Amsoil though last week I re-did the gearbox with RP Synchromax and it was a large upgrade.

Definitely replace the trans. mounts at the same time you do the driveshaft, especially if they've never been replaced or your not sure when/if they've been replaced. If it's a daily driver that never sees any track time, urethane is not necessary. You will need to drop the exhaust to replace the driveshaft, so make sure you also purchase a new exhaust gasket for where the manifold mounts to the head pipe flange; new flex disc (giubo) and hardware. Use copper anti-seize on the exhaust studs when reinstalling.

Mathieu
03-26-2016, 08:59 PM
Thanks, I will do all you suggested (rather, my mechanic will) though I am doing the urethane trans bushings. My research (and mechanic) tell me that they will transfer more torque to the wheels, and even though it's only a daily driver, that will give me a smidge more in mpg the way I drive, plus the peace of mind that they're done right forever.

I'm also, while the driveshaft is out, looking at replacing the shift bushings on my standard trans as there is about an half inch of play either way while in gear. Or is that normal?