PDA

View Full Version : NGK plugs- 2 versions on ETK?

AutoM3otives
01-17-2005, 01:12 AM
planning on going with NGK plugs.

ETK has two different listings:

(Standard)
1) SPARK PLUG
NGK BKR 6 EK
p/n: 12129064619

(High power?)
2) SPARK PLUG, HIGH POWER
NGK BKR6EQUP
p/n: 12129071003

who here uses which?
feedback would be very helpful.

GDB
01-17-2005, 01:19 AM
I can say for certain, but I'm guessing the "High Power" plugs are just a range or two hotter plug.

ultralinear
01-17-2005, 04:53 AM
On NGKs, the heat range is expressed soley by the number...so since both are 6 the heat range would be the same on these.

Their web site is fairly informative: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/

Good luck...

BMWDRIFTER
01-17-2005, 02:34 PM
the Q's are the factory M plug. they are a four prong plug. they will make a noticable power increase. I put some in a M20 motor and it would skip a little when cold, but it should not in the m42/m44. It is a really good looking plug. the ground prongs are actually below the electrode so the spark must jump up to it. this makes the spark completely exposed.

demeegod
03-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Standard and high power arent that different. Standard is two prong and high power is 4 prong. They do not make more power. Platinum plugs simply are stronger plugs and take more damage. Moreover, the need less conductivity meaning less effort for spark. Contrary to some things ive heard... they do not spark multiples at once.. but rather the kernel sparks and transfers to the prong with the least resistance which means they will last longer when other plugs would foul.

The heat ranges on the two plugs are identical. So the difference in these two plugs is the high performance plug is more durable and reliable. Would it give you more power in a well running engine with proper combustion temperature for the plug... not really. If you're a little off will it give you more power... probably in time because where the other would fail or allow for easier carbon buildup .. the four prong will usually have a path to follow before it starts to foul.

I'd more easily say gapping would play a bigger role in performance. Trying to get a gap as big as you can before fouling the plug would be ideal. If you have a larger exposed kernel then you'd have a more efficient process... but... then again.. you go too big and poof.. there goes your plug... and if its too narrow.. you can have pre detonation problems which are a huge money loss proposition.